Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

complete uninstall with separate removal tool - adobe reader

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

What are the necessary steps for COMPLETELY removing/uninstalling Adobe Reader X?

I have already seen and read these:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4632968

http://www.softwarecrew.com/2013/06/fully-uninstall-your-adobe-installation-with-adobe-reader-and-acrobat-cleaner-tool/

What is not made clear is, exact steps from start to finish.

I am interested in completely removing all of Adobe Reader X.

Do I run the uninstall through Windows Control Panel first, maybe do a computer restart, and then run the adobereadercleanup tool?  How many times should it be run?  Should I ignore control panel's program uninstall feature and just use the adobereadercleanup tool only?

(Windows Vista, laptop computer)

Edited by cafejose, 06 March 2015 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:16 AM

Hello there,

The correct order is to uninstall Adobe Reader via Programs & Features in Control Panel, reboot and then use the clean up tool to remove any leftovers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

How do I know if the process worked or not?

I downloaded the cleanup tool and unpacked it.

Uninstalled Adobe Reader X through Control Panel and restarted;

Ran the cleanup tool and made the choice "Reader" to uninstall.

The cleanup tool gave message, "Adobe Reader could not be found on the machine";  so I clicked "Next" anyway.

After several seconds, "... successful ..." removal or whatever, and offered the "Finish" button with instruction to restart again to complete the removal process.

So far no bad effects; but I still wonder if complete thorough removal occurred or not.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

If the uninstallation process ran smooth then the removal should be complete.

Alex

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

Adobe Reader usually uninstall without any problems at all, running the removal tool for it isn't needed unless something went wrong during the uninstall or you were trying to uninstall a corrupted/damaged installation of Adobe Reader. If Adobe Reader worked perfectly fine till the day you decided to uninstall it, normally it'll uninstall properly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Adobe Reader usually uninstall without any problems at all, running the removal tool for it isn't needed unless something went wrong during the uninstall or you were trying to uninstall a corrupted/damaged installation of Adobe Reader. If Adobe Reader worked perfectly fine till the day you decided to uninstall it, normally it'll uninstall properly.

Goal was to completely remove all traces of Adobe Reader, including anything which Registry would hold.  I might or might not install a newer version but this would be very unlikely.  I have been very comfortable with PDF-Xchange Viewer for more than two years, and the update process for Adobe Reader is a lengthy chore.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

If there's keys left in the Registry, or folders left, they'll be empty so they pose no problem to a future reinstallation. Usually, you use uninstall tools when you aren't able to reinstall the program or another one and it tells you that the program you uninstalled is still present on the system. Otherwise, there's no real reason to use them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

If there's keys left in the Registry, or folders left, they'll be empty so they pose no problem to a future reinstallation. Usually, you use uninstall tools when you aren't able to reinstall the program or another one and it tells you that the program you uninstalled is still present on the system. Otherwise, there's no real reason to use them.

(Multiquote does not work!)

Thanks, Aura.

I was not sure so I asked the questions.

So THAT is how multiquote works.... the button at the bottom of the window.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Multiquote can be tricky at first but hence you know where it's located, it works like a charm. Such an underused feature too. And no problem :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users