Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Crash after installing BAD Ram?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RikCab

RikCab

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi People,

Been awhile since I've needed your help. But I am at a total loss as what to do!

I purchased (2) used 1G chips off of eBay PC2700 non-ECC Low Density DDR, which should be fine for my older Asus A7N8X-X motherboard.

I removed my (2) 512K chips and installed the (2) 1G chips. Powered up and nothing, black screen and slow repeating single BEEP! I thought more eBay garbage, so I tired one chip, no change! So I removed the 1G chips and reinstalled my (2) 512K chips. Everything looked good memory count ran and system booted up to windows. I use a password, so I typed in my password and hit enter, screen went black!!!

Clicking the mouse and hitting the Esc key just rebooted the system??? Even when I left it for a few, nothing? Hit Ctrl/Alt/Del and the system rebooted! Tried restoring to a earlier day, no difference. Thought maybe my video setting got messed up with the new ram, or messed something up with windows? But I don't see anything.

I am online now, in SAFE MODE and it works? I did run my COMCAST Nortons "in safe mode" it did allow a full scan, nothing. Then I tried the online Kaspersky scan, won't run?? I did get the MalwareBytes to run, it come up with a bunch of    PUP.OPTIONAL.FREECAUSE.TB.A seems to be just some junk! But I quarantine them, didn't help.

So here I am, hope you can help. I know RAM memory is gone once power is removed. But could a RAM chip have a virus burned to it??? Why would Windows get messed up like this, from a bad memory chip? Help Please, I don't know what to do and I don't want to format my computer!!!

Last note, I did look up the ram chip online... Kingston  KTC - D320/1G    2.5V

Kingston says, They are System Specific to HP computers, which I don't have! Listing didn't say that. Still why mess up my windows?????

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2015 - 09:52 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RikCab

RikCab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

UPDATE:   Letting windows load normally I left the password page showing. It just sits there, after a few minutes I click on the enter password. Black screen and system will reboot, after a pause! Once the password screen appears and I rush, typing in my password the screen switches to my desktop. BUT, as the hourglass appears, loading my startup programs, crash!

I'm lost? Please Help!!!

Edited by RikCab, 06 March 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#3 RikCab

RikCab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

Found the problem, it is a video card issue! I tried to open my gforce program, but it would not open. So I click the desktop and went to properties. Clicked on setting then advance, switched to adapter and all the spots read UNAVAILABLE!

Tried to reinstall the disk and says, not the right card??? But it did allow me to goto the win folder and run the program from there. Then everything seemed fine, switching programs running windows. BUT, the video setting were lower, so I switch them back to 1024/768 (32bit) CRASH!!! So I am back in safe mode, though the properties read 1024x768 (32bit) so?? But I am going to try and reboot again. Will post once I try more stuff!

Hope someone got some ideas.

I've tried everything thing to get it to work, nothing! Keeps crashing???  So I just uninstalled the display adapter from the device manager, then reboot. When the system boots up, it comes up with the "Found New Hardware" I just cancel it. System works fine, I am running at 1024x768 (32bit), the display adapter show the  "!" but everything works fine.

Still do not understand why it got messed up and why I cannot get the software to work correctly??

Anyone??

Edited by RikCab, 06 March 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#4 RikCab

RikCab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'm really surprised to see no responses. It has been a number of years, but is this still an active site? Maybe I should reword my questions?

1st is, can RAM Memory chips be infected? Either with a virus or hack programs?

RAM chips are supposedly for HP computers! My motherboard is a Asus?

2nd is, can installing bad or mismatch RAM mess up your video setting?

After reinstalling MY Ram, the system crashes with a black screen! Rebooting in Safe Mode, I'm unable to run my video software, just doesn't start! Then I had to remove the video drivers. System boots up fine, just keeps finding NEW HARDWARE!!! I just cancel and continue.

One thing I noticed afterwards, not sure if related or has been like this forever! When I log off, the pop up shows

Standby Shutdown Restart

The word Standby is not Clickable???

Hope someone out there has some thoughts.

Thanks,

Rich

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hello Rich .. changing out memory does not normally cause your graphics card to fail.  But static electricity could have if you inadvertantly touched the card and it may have caused failure.  Since you changed the memory you may need to reset the CMOS to default or performance settings.  I have not heard  of malware being stored in memory but with the advent of the reports of hard drives being infected in the firmware from NSA ' spying ' I suppose it is possible however unlikely unless you feel you are somehow a target.  Most likely the voltages for the memory are different or different / incompatible architecture it can cause a myriad of strange problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users