Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could cause my Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx battery to swell?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

I don't know if I should put this here, or in the "Cell phones" section of the forum, but I have a battery problem.

I bought the phone in April 2013, and my battery essentially swelled so much that I can't fit it back in my phone at around November 2014.  My dad has the same phone, acquired at the same time, April 2013, and his battery is still fresh and flat and fine at around November 2014.

Thinking that it might be a battery problem, I used my dad's battery on my phone.  I didn't want to use his phone, because I didn't want to have to transfer all the pictures and a bunch of different stuff already stored in my phone.

After using my phone with my dad's battery in it for 4 months, my dad's battery is starting to swell.

Both phones use the same Android OS version 4.0.2, and both are the same Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx model.

Which of these is at fault as to why my battery is swollen and why my dad's battery is starting to swell while inside my phone?

The battery itself.  Maybe my dad's battery is coincidentally starting to swell at the same time I started to use it on my phone?

The charger.  Maybe my charger is doing something to the battery that my dad's charger isn't?

The hardware.  Maybe my phone has faulty hardware that my dad's phone doesn't have?

The software.  My dad uses his phone as just a phone, and to check e-mail.  Everything else is also set to default.  He didn't adjust the brightness, nor did he install any apps.  My phone on the other hand has some installed apps, and I use it for internet.  I also use the S Planner calendar app, and take a lot of pictures using my phone.

So as I said before, which of these 4: battery; charger; hardware; and/or software is causing the battery to swell when it is used in my phone that isn't causing it to swell when my dad used it on his phone?

Edited by signofzeta, 05 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hi, not an expert on these but,it can be if you leave it on the charger too long.

Regardless the battery is defective and can explode.
It needs to be replaced immediately.

Edited by boopme, 05 March 2015 - 09:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

Hi, not an expert on these but,it can be if you leave it on the charger too long.

Regardless the battery is defective and can explode.
It needs to be replaced immediately.

Most devices are designed to regulate back the power going into the battery as it reaches maximum capacity.

This swelling could be caused by using an aftermarket charger, or a damaged charge circuit in the phone itself. I'd recommend replacing your entire phone and charger, battery's hold alot of energy and damaged components can cause them to release all of the stored energy rapidly through explosions or fire. The possible damage to your health or property isn't worth trying to save a few dollars by just replacing the charger or battery.

Edited by ChaseWheeler, 06 March 2015 - 07:37 PM.

I couldn't do this job without my coffee and vape.

#4 auguske

auguske

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

many reasons, how long have your Samsung been used?  a battery for smart cellphone only design for 2 to 3years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users