Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS S500CA Sonic Master Booting Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BSI

BSI

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

Have an ASUS S500CA laptop that was given to me because it does not boot up eventhough it powers on.  The person had been using it with very low battery charge and they walked away to do something else and when they came back it had shut itself off and when they used the power on button it would not power on.  I have played with this for a few days with no success.  I have detached all ribbon cables and removed the CMOS battery but it still wont turn on.  Now to make it clear it does power on, fan, power light and even the hard drive light when it first turns on but the screen is black and no bios screen etc.  Just wont boot.  I have also removed the hard drive and installed it in another system and it boots fine so it is not the hard drive.  Windows 8 comes up just fine.  Removed all hardware, memory etc and tried to boot with no luck.  

What I think it is that it went into hibernation or deep sleep mode when it ran low on battery and when it shutdown it is stuck in that mode and I cant get it past that.  Hardware seems to function fine when and it was running fine before it shutdown.  Also, the keyboard lights etc dont come on making me think it is in hiberbation/sleep mode.  The unit is two years old so it is out of warranty. 

Have tested with a multimeter the power cord and it is pulling 19 volts.  Also I tested the charging port where it meets the motherboard and it is getting the 19 volts also.  The battery itself is giving the 11 volts it is suppose tow and the connection to the battery on the motherboard is reading 12 to 12.5 volts.

Search the internet with no luck, tried the 60 second hold on the power button with no luck. 

Open to ideas and suggesttions.  Looking to somehow reset the hardware and have it forget the hiberbnation/sleep mode setting and I think we might be good.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Have you tried connecting an external monitor to see if it might be an issue with the display?

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

I had almost the exact same problem on an old Dell Inspiron 2650. When I would hit the power button, the light would turn on, the fans would run for a few seconds, then the fans would go off and it wouldn't do anything. Despite this being a newer computer I am almost certain this is a motherboard problem. On my 2650 the pc had just crashed one day and when I went to reboot it I couldn't get it to do anything besides turn it on and off because the motherboard had died. I'm not sure how the original user had crashed the motherboard but that seems to be the culprit. If you're not sure then google up some tests you can do on it (like holding down the M or the D button on startup). I would recommend you research motherboard replacement for an ASUS S500CA or see if there is somewhere you can get a new one cheap. I got a new motherboard for my Dell Inspiron 2650 on Amazon for only 20$ and after a couple hours of unscrewing and replacing I was able to get it working again. Hope this helps.

-Benjamin

#4 BSI

BSI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

Did try the external monitor, forgot to mention it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  As far as the possible motherboard problem, I agree, I had thought originally it was the motherboard and still could be, but what made me thing about the sleep mode or hibernation lock is that the items that ran, like fan, power light, hard drive light and that the batterry would charge when plugged in and the voltages I was getting from my multimeter at different locations on the motherboard along with the owners description of how it occurred with a low battery made me think maybe it was more related to the sleep/hibernation mode it goes into when it is on battery and the battery gets down to a low percentage.  Now I could be wrong and it is the motherboard but was looking for away to reset the hardware to make sure it was not the sleep/hibernation issue.  I had read a few places that these ASUS units had a reset but no one could define where it was or how it could be done.  I may go and replace the motherboard but wanted to wait and see if there was anything else I could do if it was a sleep mode/hibernation lock type issue.

Thanks for the suggesstions, keep them coming.

#5 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

The motherboard probably isn't completely fried, just damaged so it can't load the BIOS. That's probably why some of the other hardware runs but doesn't boot. As for the reset, I wouldn't know what to do there but I would keep searching and find out. Asus Units are pretty compact though so if there is a way to reset, it may be buried deep in the computer itself.

#6 pauloandrino

pauloandrino

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hello BSI, 

Firstly, sorry for english mistakes, it is not my native language.

I'm having the same issue on my notebook, it is the same scenario that you described, I was using my notebook with very low battery, I put to charge it, but it does not work anymore.

Did you find a solution for it?

Thanks in advanced

Edited by pauloandrino, 15 May 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

When Windows 8 shuts down it is not a true shutdown, more like a hybrid shutdown in order to boot more quickly. Try the following. Do this with the power adapter plugged in and battery in place.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

If you do not see the rotating circle push the power button a few seconds after after the comptuer turns on then push again to turn off. Try it 2 or 3 times. Hopefully it will get to the troubleshoot screen or reboot.

#8 pauloandrino

pauloandrino

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for reply John,

I think my issue is not Windows, well, following what I already tried, I opened the notebook and:

1 - Tested with other memory RAM stick - Is not memory ram the problem

2 - Tested without HD - Did not worked - Here I was expecting BIOS setup asking by bootable disk

3 - Tested with other HD, one that works fine in other notebook, no result also

The most interesting thing is that, sometimes it works (it is rare), and most time not.

So, based on my tests, I'm thinking is something wrong on motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users