Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Card to replace dead sata ports?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Milks

Milks

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

All of my SATA ports died in my computer.  Instead of replacing my computer or replacing the motherboard is there another way to get this computer working?  Can I install some card that will allow me to connect a bootable SATA hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045&cm_re=sata_card_pci_express-_-16-124-045-_-Product

Edited by skyvertex, 05 March 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

I've bought two SYBA SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Cards to allow me to add additional drives in my machine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

As noted...if it's not the motherboard that's the problem...a controller card will do the job...but I would make sure the board itself is not the problem.  Lots of different cards available...I've had Promise, Syba, Highpoint, and others in the past...haven't used one now for several years (larger hard drives eliminated the need for me).

Louis

#5 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

How does the BIOS know to look for the hard drive on this card when the computer is booting up?  Isn't it programmed to only look for a hard drive that is connected to the motherboard's SATA ports?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Depends totally on the motherboard, IMO...older motherboards may not support the use of controller cards, IME, but I would say that any board made in the last 10 years will provide support for such.

The controller card has its own BIOS, by which you set up the boot drive.

The motherboard, OTOH, if compatible with controller cards...will allow for booting from the controller card.  My experience reflected choosing the "SCSI option" on the main board, but setting up the card should be covered by the instructions for said card.  Typically, you can review the instructions for use before ever buying the card...said instructions/manual should be available at the website of the controller card manufacturer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users