Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting files on a thumb/flash drive

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have a thunb drive I want to completely clear all the info.  I keep getting error messages saying:

Cannote delete file - cannot read from source file or disk.

So, how can I totally clear the info?   TIA

I have a Dell laptop with XP Professional on it  Any thoughts?  It is not the end of the world but I hate to throw it away.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Have you tried formatting the flash drive? Open My Computer. Right click on the flash drive and select format. Edit: This will delete all info from the flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

To add to what JohnC said, when you click 'foormat' you get the options of a 'Qquick' or 'Full' format. Choose the 'Full' option.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

I only had the choice of Quick - not full and it did not finish.  now what?

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

I don't know if this is your issue or not- XP has an issue with not being able to format partitions beyond the root one on thumb drives- I experienced this myself. I found a utility by HP, that can be downloaded for free, that "dumb" formats a thumb drive (i.e. ignores any existing partition structure and just formats the entire drive). Maybe this will fix your issue, not entirely sure. Just make you point it at the correct drive.

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/478b51573912b8862083aa379da3f77f/54f9104a/1e38a/4/1

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

If yu gnomi's suggestion does not work try SDFormater. Steps are listed here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#7 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks John C - The SD Formater worked but when I go back in to look it keeps saying the drive is not formatted - do I want to do that?

I just tried it and it says the disk cannot be formatted.  Do I need that anyway?  I am only saving thing occasionally on this anyway.

Edited by judyjht, 06 March 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

Are you saying that the SD formatter could not format the drive? It's possible the drive is bad. It's possible the drive is bad. Try formatting it with Rufus. Make sure your USB flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Select Fat32 for the file system and MBR for the partition scheme. Uncheck Quick Format. Select FreeDos in the dropdown box. You can delete the files after the format. Press Start. If Rufus does not work then we can try something else. What is the make and model of the USB flash drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#9 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

undetermined error while formating.  It is just a promotional item - it just says FlexDrive.  It is not a big deal.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Okay, I think the only other option would be to zero the drive and then Partition/format using a partition manager. Partition Wizard could possibly do it. Make sure you are doing this to the flash drive and not your internal drive. If this fails then I would say the drive is toast.

#11 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

I can't figure out the zero the drive part.  I think I will forget it - it is really not worth all your time but thanks so much for the help.  I really appreciate it!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

I know I might be late in the thread judy, but if you want to try one last thing, you can try a low level format of the flash drive, using HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool:

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

A low level format have more chances of working than a quick format or full format from Windows. I usually use that tool when I need to format a hard drive, or USB that cannot be formatted or throw errors.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

It says 100% complete and the green bars go all the way across.  It says to remember to create new partitions - now what?

UPDATE - I think it actually worked.  I went in to Explore the drives and this one formated it and sait it was complete so now there is nothing on this drive so I think I am all set.  Thanks a million!!

Edited by judyjht, 06 March 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Now we'll create a new partition. Click on the Windows Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Manage. From there, in the left pane, click on Disk Management. Take a screenshot of what you see and post it here, then I'll walk you throught the rest.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

I learned something new, I did not know until today that a flashdrive has a partition  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users