Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open photo DVD on computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cadavelier

cadavelier

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Went on a whale watching trip in Mexico recently.  They vendor sends a photographer along on the trip with a SLR and a GoPro.  At the end of the excursion they show you the photos and ask if I would like to purchase a DVD of our specific trip.  As the photos are much better than anything I was able to capture, I purchase the DVD.

When I get home I pop it into the DVD drive on my computer, no luck.  Try opening through windows explorer and the computer doesn't see and data on the DVD.  Try it on 2 other computers (all windows computers) and get the same results.

I'm thinking I got a bum disc until I put it in an old DVD player attached to a TV.  Voila!  The pics are there and I can view them.

My question is this:  Is there anyway I'm going to be able to open this DVD on a computer?  I would like to print some of the pics and share the DVD with the other folks I traveled with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Can you maybe post a screenshot of what you see when you try to open the disc by going through "my computer" and looking at your E (it's usually E for most people, but it might have a different letter on your machine) drive? If it won't open on several windows computers then i suspcect it is not an issue with the computer's disc drives but with the way files are stored on the disc. Do you perhaps see a list of files on the disc when you try to open it, files using a file type (file extension) that you don't recognise? maybe this photo DVD is actually a video made up of stills, perhaps it could be played with VLC mediaplayer and screenshots taken (VLC also has it's own internal "save an image of this frame" function which might give hgher resolution results)?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users