Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Create Local Network Share With External Storage?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

I have ubuntu 14.04 and can easily share any folder in the Public folder located in the home directory. However, I cannot hook up an external storage device, create a folder inside, and share ti with the network like I could with the folders inside the public folder. I'm just using the simple built in Folder Sharing program built into ubuntu.

Ill even take any simple guide on how to create shares. I use to use some program that did work for awhile, I was able to create users and folders that would only be accessible by users I created. It was the only other graphical samba program besides gadmin-samba.

I'd really like to know how to get the file shares in motion as painless as possible and have it working flawlessly everytime I reload my test machine so I can be confident enough to offer super affordable file sharing solutions to public non profit businesses.  Right now I can only create a publicly shared folder, but want to be able to have specific folders only accessible by certain users so that places could keep their temp workers out of any sensitive shared documents.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 05 March 2015 - 04:40 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Do you have any experience using the command line in linux?

I recommend just using Samba but I've only used it on Debian with the command line.

If you're willing to learn the basics of the command line I'll get a live CD of the distro you're using and help teach/walk you through it. :)

I couldn't do this job without my coffee and vape.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

Im fairy decent with the terminal. And I think samba is the only way I was able to ever get my shares working :P . Regardless, post anything you have, terminal or gui,  for getting an external storage device to work with shares. I plan on having an external storage device with shared folders inside it that get backed up to another drive seeing how the tiny computer I have only has a 80gb ssd.

I tried adding an entry in the samba config file, but nothing ever happened.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Ok what's the exact version of Ubuntu that you have? I'm going to download a live CD of it but 14.04.2 LTS is out (I'd like to get the exact version you're using so we don't end up with any weirdness :P)

Also do you have any version of Samba installed already?

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

14.04 and not a clue on the version, its whatever is installed by default when you try to share a folder on the network.

#6 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

Ok give me a little bit of time to download the iso and I'll post back when I have it. (the internet speeds offered in my slice of America are pretty terrible!)

#7 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Alright I'm booted into Ubuntu 14.04. I forgot how much I hate Unity, and also this live CD is running terribly on my computer, give me a few minutes to find a few things and we can get started :P

#8 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

Ok, so I'm back in Windows. No matter what computer I used, Xorg would crash before I could switch to proprietary drivers (cue maniacal laughter)  so I'll just wing it and use my debian box for reference.

Can you get the contents from /etc/samba/smb.conf and post them into a pastebin for me?

#9 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Ill have to post either tomorrow or monday. My home computer is all zonked from me doing something, however the laptop that Im doing all of this on is at work unfortunately, I thought I put it in my car.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 07 March 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#10 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:07 PM

I should be done with work for the rest of the day, when you get access to the computer in question just post here and I'll get back with you as quick as possible!

#11 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

Alright, at this current time I have just installed a fresh copy of ubuntu 14.04 and have all recent updates. I have not attempted to share any folders or download samba.

#12 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Ok wishmakingfairy! First things first, lets see if it came installed with samba. Check in /etc/ and see if you have a samba folder. If you do then copy the contents of /etc/samba/smb.conf and paste them into a pastebin for me.

#13 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

http://pastebin.com/295XUV5G

#14 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

Ok, so hopefully Ubuntu installed everything for us, so let's get to configuring!

First we're going to make a backup of the configuration file so we have something to fall back too if we mess up.

• Open a terminal window
  • Change directories to the samba etc directory.
    cd /etc/samba
  • Copy the file and give it a new name
    cp smb.conf smb.conf.bak
    If you get an error copying the file add "sudo " to the beginning of the command.
  • Make sure that you have both smb.conf and smb.conf.bak
    ls
Ok, now that the configuration file is backed up open /etc/samba/smb.conf with your favorite text editor and look for this section

;[profiles]
; comment = Users profiles
; path = /home/samba/profiles
; guest ok = no
; browseable = no
; create mask = 0600
; directory mask = 0700

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700

We're going to put our shared folder configuration there. It'll look something like this.

;[profiles]
; comment = Users profiles
; path = /home/samba/profiles
; guest ok = no
; browseable = no
; create mask = 0600
; directory mask = 0700

############################
#Enter custom shares here! #

[Test share]
comment = Test Share
create mask = 0755
path = /test
guest ok = no
valid users = user user2

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700

I use this just to show where my custom shares start

#Enter custom shares here! #

The options you use will be different than these but here's a basic explanation of what each one is.

This is the name of the share

[Test share]

This is a comment you can make about the share

comment = Test Share

This is the permissions created files are given, if you're not sure what the numbers represent let me know and I'll explain it

create mask = 0755

This is the location of the shared folder.

path = /test

No guests allowed

guest ok = no

Only the listed users can use these shares. Separate users with spaces.

valid users = user user2

After you've added your shares run testparm to check if there's any basic errors. If testparm gives any errors post them here and I'll take a look at them.
testparm
Now that we've got the configuration file with your shares in it and no errors it's time to restart the server. Run these commands and if you get any errors post them.
sudo restart smbd
sudo restart nmbd
After this you should be good to go, check what shares the server is offering with another computer.

(I'm posting this from memory so other parts of the configuration file may need to be modified)

Edited by ChaseWheeler, 12 March 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:38 AM

I'm posting this from memory

You have a good memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users