Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Failing to Load

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hi i have an HP HD3000 External Hard Drive that came with my HP Media Centre PC Model M7480.

It is the type of hard drive that can slot into the Pc or be connected via USB.

I have been leaving the drive inside the computer until recently when the computer was failing to load on windows XP.

Upon remembering the hard drive was in the computer i removed tried to boot and my computer now works fine but ever since my hard drive is not recognized on my windows xp media center PC either through its internal docking station or using a USB connection.

I have tried to connect the hard drive to a differnt computer on windows 7 via USB and the computer it does not boot up. i do not get any failed to recognise hard drive notices its just dead.

the external hard drive sounds like it wants to boot up when first loaded but then fails to do so

any advice please

thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

Have you try connecting the hard drive via USB in windows?

Try to check the boot sequence in BIOS, make sure boot from USB HDD is not enable..

#3 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:10 AM

Have you try connecting the hard drive via USB in windows?

Try to check the boot sequence in BIOS, make sure boot from USB HDD is not enable..

Hi Mauguilar

the external hard drive only has my saved documents pictures music ect on there but it has important documents too that i need.

Originally i was having trouble booting my PC up on windows XP it would not boot up even in safe mode.

Then i remembered i had my exteernal hard drive in its docking station when i removed the hard drive the PC botted up and it is in good working order. But ecer since my PC wont even recognize the external hard drive either when it is docked or via USB.

and when i check on my laptop with windows 7 that will not recognize the external hard drive via USB either

Both computers boot up fine they just wont recognize my external hard drive which i need to access.

i dont know how to check BIOS

thank you in advance

Edited by williamvincent, 06 March 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

It could be that your hard drive just went bad or corrupted, try running a hard drive test on that Hard drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Can you take out the hard drive and connect it directly to the pc without the usb cable?

Is it an IDE or SATA connection?

If the hard drive will not be recognized at all when you ' plug it in ' it is possible that the hard drives controller has failed.  You may be able to replace the circuit board and have the drive come back to life but my experience with this is 0.

#6 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

It could be that your hard drive just went bad or corrupted, try running a hard drive test on that Hard drive.

Thank you for your help going to check them links out now

#7 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

Can you take out the hard drive and connect it directly to the pc without the usb cable?

Is it an IDE or SATA connection?

If the hard drive will not be recognized at all when you ' plug it in ' it is possible that the hard drives controller has failed.  You may be able to replace the circuit board and have the drive come back to life but my experience with this is 0.

Yeah Bleeping thanks for the advice 

#8 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi Mauguilar 

I have downloaded the seagate onto my windows 7 laptop. What is interesting is that i have tried to connect the personal drive via USB and it is now showing up in control panel/ hardware and sound/ devices and printers but it still will not access and the seagate program does not pick it up to do a scan on. any ideas? thank you 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Sometimes linux can detect a drive and mount it where Windows will fail. Download Puppy linux (tarhpup v6)here. Burn the iso file in Windows 7 by Right Clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the Puppy disk. In the lower left are your hard drives. Attach the USB hard drive and a USB icon should appear on the desktop next to your optical drive. If the USB icon does not appear, you can stop and go no further. If the USB icon appears click once on the USB icon and the drive should mount and a File Manager open showing the contents of the drive. Clicking once on a folder will open it.

Click once on your internal drive. It should be sda1 or sda2. It will mount and another File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your Windows files/folders clicking sda1 then close the File Manager Window and select sda2. Highlight your USB HDD files by windowing around the files/folders or by Left clicking while pressing the Ctrl key. You can then drag the files from the USB HDD to the internal drive. A small dialog box will open asking to copy or move. Select Move and click the Quiet Box.

#10 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hi Mauguilar 

I have downloaded the seagate onto my windows 7 laptop. What is interesting is that i have tried to connect the personal drive via USB and it is now showing up in control panel/ hardware and sound/ devices and printers but it still will not access and the seagate program does not pick it up to do a scan on. any ideas? thank you 

Try using  SeaTools For DOS. If windows didn't pick it up give it a shot under DOS Download the CD Image ISO, burn it to a CD and Boot from it you might need to access bios to enter BIOS press "Esc Key" when the PC is booting ussually when display the HP screen.

Here foolow the rest of instructions http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

#11 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:08 AM

Sometimes linux can detect a drive and mount it where Windows will fail. Download Puppy linux (tarhpup v6)here. Burn the iso file in Windows 7 by Right Clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the Puppy disk. In the lower left are your hard drives. Attach the USB hard drive and a USB icon should appear on the desktop next to your optical drive. If the USB icon does not appear, you can stop and go no further. If the USB icon appears click once on the USB icon and the drive should mount and a File Manager open showing the contents of the drive. Clicking once on a folder will open it.

Click once on your internal drive. It should be sda1 or sda2. It will mount and another File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your Windows files/folders clicking sda1 then close the File Manager Window and select sda2. Highlight your USB HDD files by windowing around the files/folders or by Left clicking while pressing the Ctrl key. You can then drag the files from the USB HDD to the internal drive. A small dialog box will open asking to copy or move. Select Move and click the Quiet Box.

Hi JohnC thank you for the advice i will give this a try

Hi Mauguilar 

Try using  SeaTools For DOS. If windows didn't pick it up give it a shot under DOS Download the CD Image ISO, burn it to a CD and Boot from it you might need to access bios to enter BIOS press "Esc Key" when the PC is booting ussually when display the HP screen.

Here foolow the rest of instructions http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Hi Mauguilar again thank you for the advice i will check it out 

#12 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi John C i tried with puppy linux excellent program by the way and yes it did pick the hard drive up but could not access it but thank you for the suggestion it will come in handy for other things cheers

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

At this point I am not sure it will help but you can try the following. Make a note of what your USB external drive is labeled, ex sdb. Right click the  USB hard drive icon on the Puppy desktop and select Unmount. Open Puppy's terminal and type the following at the prompt

ntfsfix /dev/sdX1   Where X is the letter associated with the USB hard drive.

If the USB hard drive has more than one partition then you would have other number suffixes and you would need to use the ntfsfix on them also. Reboot into Windows and see if the USB drive is then detected and have the ability to access files.

Edit: If the disk is formatted other than NTFS then the above will not work.

If that does not work, then download Testdisk for Windows  6.14. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. Follow the steps here. Do not write anything yet as shown in the guide. Does Testdisk Quicksearch detect any partitions. If so Hightlight the partition and then press upper case "P". Do you see your files listed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2015 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users