Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No post and no video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fuzz429

fuzz429

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

I have a old mother board P5L-MX with built in gpu intel 950 .Everything was working fine then one day it would not post no beeps or video .I took it apart  and put one piece at a time back in and there is still no beeps .I would try and boot every time I added a part .Lights and fans start .Would it be the cpu which mine is a intel celeron D 3.33ghz . I have seen some place there is something about caps that swell on the mother board ???and if there is where about's on the board are they ??. Also I change the ram hard drive cables cleared cmos .Thanks for any info on this 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

I have a old mother board P5L-MX with built in gpu intel 950 .Everything was working fine then one day it would not post no beeps or video .I took it apart  and put one piece at a time back in and there is still no beeps .I would try and boot every time I added a part .Lights and fans start .Would it be the cpu which mine is a intel celeron D 3.33ghz . I have seen some place there is something about caps that swell on the mother board ???and if there is where about's on the board are they ??. Also I change the ram hard drive cables cleared cmos .Thanks for any info on this 

It's most likely the cpu, motherboard or power supply. This is assuming that you've switched out the ram and have tried different slots with only one stick of ram.

Swelled caps are pretty easy to spot. If they aren't flat on the top then they're failing, if they have residue on the tops then they've probably completely failed. These usually fail closer to the CPU.

Here's an example of a dell that I looked at yesterday that has bad caps:

bad-caps.png

Edited by ChiefTech, 05 March 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#3 fuzz429

fuzz429
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

Can you replace caps that are swelled and board still work ???thanks

#4 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Yes you can if you have good soldering skills and the proper capisitors, understand how to do it and have the proper tools.
I would highly reccomend you just replace the motherboard with something better if possible because replacing swelled caps doesn't always solve the problem.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Replacement with the same size part would be enough but there are two causes.  One, too much current being drawn from the circuit, or Two, they are manufacturers defects.  Either one, replacement might get you back in business.  If they errupt again, larher caps, with a little higher voltage and more capacitance,  Might even find some rated higher but in a taller can to fit in the same spot.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

A bad video cord or a non-functioning monitor, would also lead to no beeps at POST, fans and lights coming on and no apparent output from computer (just as if it wasn't working).

Before you start re-soldering stuff, see if you can get your hands on another monitor and video cord, and check to make sure it's not a video issue.

#7 fuzz429

fuzz429
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

Thanks I will give the video cable a try and moniter  but the caps are caput.I'll try replacing the caps if go;s bad new board here we come thanks again for your time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users