Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Tick Tock Cycle, Do You Tick Or Tock?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

Do you like to buy your CPU on the tick or on the tock? If the tick represents a shrinking of an existing microarchitecture, and the tock is the redesign of a new microarchitecture based on the existing size, I always like to buy my CPUs on the tock. How about you?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:29 AM

I tend to buy on the tock as well. If my cpu needs upgrading I would feel comfortable buying a tick model if that was what is faster at the time.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2015 - 02:28 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

Every other tock.  I normally build between three and five years and skip an entire processor line between builds.  I'm currently running an Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge.  I built my current machine in August 2012 and am just now upgrading the video card as I'm having stuttering issues on my movie display with the latest World of WarCraft update.  A new video card about three years in is normal in my build cycle.  I probably have another year or two before I will feel the need to build again.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

I usually tick because I cannot afford to tock lol .. for the last few tick tocks it really seems like the software has not caught up to the capabilities of the hardware.  Games are (just now) being able to actually use more than 2 cores so... most people that had the 8 cores for the last 2 years or so had a bunch of cores doing a bunch of nothing (unless you were folding)  And lately it seems as though they have hit a mhz. sweet spot and would have to come up with completely new tech to go much faster. IMO

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

Handbrake will max out all 12 of my cores.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

Video editing will definitely max out any cpu. I try to offload rendering to the gpu when able.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users