Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to salvage 8, rebuilding off cloned drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

8 or 8.1 is such a headache...

Asus x45a laptop. 8 or 8.1 installed. HDD was dying and the Windows Boot manager was gone, no longer present in BIOS. I tried to do data recovery but of course its a GPT partition. Cloned the drive to a used one (so the new drive COULD be part of the current issue- but only one big enough I had laying around atm). Took a day and a half.

There's 7 partitions, plus 2 Partition 0 that show 249 GB each- and the drive is only 500 Gb.??

All the partitions had errors, ran chkdsk on all of them, but 2 are RAW only. I can view the details of the System, Recovery, and OS, and now I can access the files off OS (which is F:). But I want to get this system booting.

System Restore fails to initialize, says no installation present.

Attempts to do a System Refresh gives me the "drive is locked" message.

System Reset doesn't find an installation.

In an attempt to 'unlock' the drive, in DISKPART I can't make any partition active- I get "the specified partition type is not valid for this operation".

I'm going to try the rebuild the bcd, but failing that, what would be the next step??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

Did you initialize the new disk as GPT before you did the clone? If not, then that could be the reason for the problems. The only active partition should be the EFI system partition.

At the diskpart prompt type list disk. Does the disk show as GPT? There should be a * under GPT.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Nope I sure didn't initialize the clone as GPT. Not a lot of experience with GPT due to very little clients running 8 or having hardware issues with 8 (yet).

I used my testing PC which is an XP system, used Easeus Todo Backup's Clone wizard in order to copy the GPT to the new drive, which was merely formatted as NTFS.

Which viewing DISKPART, I see *disk 0 and gpt is not selected.

What would be the proper cloning steps then??

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

There has been an ongoing thread at Wilderssecurity about restoring a UEFI disk image to a clean disk and the failures that occur. Supposedly the latest version of Easeus worked. This was not a clone but a full disk image and restore.

To initialize the disk as GPT you can use a install disk of Windows 7 or 8. Open a command prompt.  A system repair disk from 7 should work also. At a diskpart prompt on the new drive you would type the following commands.

list disk
select disk x    X being your new drive
clean   (deletes all current partitions)
convert gpt

exit

Then start the clone from Easeus or you could create a full disk image with the latest Easeus Todo and then a restore instead of a clone.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Cool deal! This isn't the first time I've run into GPT issues so this is great information. Thanks!

However, I don't see an option to create an image in Todo 8 Free. I can do a backup, but it won't let me select the new HDD as the destination. It wants to go into the XP files, but my testing PC doesn't have enough space available.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

I went ahead with another clone. There's a lot of errors on the original disk so I'll have to scan and fix the clone after it's completed, since I can't fix them on the original disk.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yes, if you are doing a system backup, you cannot backup to the new drive. You need to backup the system image to an external drive and then restore to the new drive.  Lots of errors on the original disk is probably why some of your partitions showed as RAW.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, I accounted for all the important partitions, though I'm not sure the state of the boot manager (which is currently non-existent).

The plan is to at least salvage the Recovery and OS partitions and doing a factory restore.

I'll probably check back late tomorrow or Monday, whenever this 2nd clone finishes.

Thanks for the help so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users