Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does inserting the windows installation disc always delete all data?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danpurman

danpurman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

Toshiba Laptop will not boot. screen shot below error: 0xc000000f

I have the windows installation discs/recovery but have not retreived all the data yet.  Will inserting the disc automatically delete all the data on the drive or will it simply attempt to repair the issue and keep the data on the drive? I am hoping to just get it operational to recover the data with least cost/time expense possible.

Attached File  IMG_0762.jpg   98.66KB   1 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2015 - 04:40 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Vista - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NunoLava1998

NunoLava1998

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:21 AM

I dont know, but you could search on the internet for fixes, i think a drive is going bad or a drive cant be read.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

The answer to your question is no. Booting from your install CD will allow you to do a 'full installation', which will format your drive and erase all data, but it will also allow you to access other options, including a 'repair install', which might fix your problem.

I can't gaurantee this will fix your problem, but it is worth attempting  instead of formatting and re-installing  https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000f/#Fix_3_Rebuild_the_BCD_using_bootrecexe

Edited by yu gnomi, 05 March 2015 - 05:24 AM.

#4 danpurman

danpurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, After restarting with the recovery disk in, I was able to boot to disk and I am at a gray screen that says select "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" or "System Recovery Options"  Again, I do not want to proceed from here if it will delete all of my data.  Will continuing from this point erase data?

Some have asked...

I am using windows vista. This is an actual 2 disc recovery and applications/driver disc set from Toshiba that came with the cpu.

#5 oldriver

oldriver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

If it is going to erase any data, it will warn you first. Usually those recovery discs reinstall device drivers and take care of any other maintenance issues. 

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:21 PM

A recovery will erase everything on your computer.

A REPAIR will leave your personal files and folders intact. At least it is supposed to. I have repaired many times and not lost anything. I usually tell people to back up first even when doing a REPAIR just in case, but it appears you are not able to do that.

I will also say that I have no clue if a repair can actually be done manufacturer supplied disks. My HP laptop does not have a repair option, only a RECOVERY (installing back to factory conditions).

Repair can be done with a Windows 7 disk, which is what I have always used on my custom built desktops.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

With reference to your Post #4 - if you accept the 'System recovery options' this will give you a number of further options to attempt to repair Windows. Until your data is safe, do NOT use the 'Toshiba recovery wizard' option. As Queen-Evie has said, this option will wipe all the data off your drive.

Like Queen-Evie, I would try to recover all my data - including the stuff like contact lists and bookmarks that tend to get forgotten - before I started repairing the drive. If you can access a 2.5 inch hard drive caddy and get some time on a second computer it is just a matter of copying your data as far as possible to some other form of external drive. This is what I mean by a 'caddy' -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-Enclosure-Tool-free-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00BH83LYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1425687606&sr=1-1

This is just to give you an idea of what you need as this is from Amazon UK but they are widely available from any number of suppliers. And they are simplicity to use.

Remove your hard drive from the laptop. Usually 2 or 4 small screws to remove the cover plate and you will then be able to slide out the HDD. Then put it into the caddy and connect it by USB to another computer. The example quoted above is for USB3 and comes with a USB3 cable. If you are in any doubt about how to remove yur hard drive, search on YouTube for 'Your make and model + hard drive' and you should find several videos on how to do this.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users