Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes black after a few minutes but PC is still running.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donpoppito

donpoppito

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

Video card or Hard Drive maybe? This is a seriously old PC that i built myself years ago and have passed on to my mom.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600
GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4
OCZ GameXStream 700W
500gb Western Digital HD
4gb Ram
Not sure of the VGA. Nothing great though.

So where would i start or what would be the most likely culprit? As im typing this it was running a dskchk and it did the same thing. The tower is on but no picture. I would have to turn off the power supply and start it that way for it to come back on.

I recently took it completely apart and cleaned it out. It was disgusting. It just restarted on its own now and went straight to windows bypassing the "Shutdown wrong" screen.

TL;DR  PC loses picture, tower stays on, within a couple minutes it reboots on its own.

P.S. Would love to just get her a new Dell or something for $200 but we're pretty broke so trying to save this one without spending too much.
Thanks!

P.S.S. After about 3 minutes it goes to the windows screen with the mouse cursor doing the loading circle then goes black. No response from the power or reset button, then rebooted, made it to the "Start windows normally" screen, went to load windows and screen went black again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Could you post a speccy? I realize this may be difficult thing to do with the video going out on you all the time.  Does it stay on if you load windows in safe mode?  If it does this could be a driver problem.  It could also be a video card problem.  Is the video attached to the mainboard or is there and actual video card?

#3 donpoppito

donpoppito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

This is a fresh install of Windows 7,  always forget to mention something.  I never even got to installing drivers for a lot of the stuff since it could just be a huge waste of time.  Havent tried booting into safe mode yet but i will.   Its a video card, not sure exactly which one though.  My 9800gt died years ago and this was a super cheap replacement.  Ill open it up and check after work today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users