Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If you could be rich, famous, or influential, which would you choose and why?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

You can only chose one or the other. What would it be? This is quite a tough one for me. The morrally correct one though I would say is to be influential but to be so in a benficial way for one and all.

But I cannot deny that fact that I do like the idea of being rich or famous. I guess I would have to give this some serious thought.

What about you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

None of the above. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

None of the above. :)

+1

#4 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Influence can't really be separated from either wealth or fame. If you have one of those, you can be influential if you choose. The more you have, the more influential you can be.

Between wealth and fame, I would choose wealth. Fame is much more of a double-edged sword. It's just plain weird to have millions of strangers who know all about you. Not to mention the loony fans. Fame without wealth would be an absolute nightmare.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

None of them. Too much of something is always a nightmare.

I prefer to remain in obscurity.

Alex

#6 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

Rich! And nobody to know about it, except me.

#7 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'd pick the combination "anonymously wealthy influential" :lol:.

One of my favorite old-timer TV show premises was the TV series "The Millionaire" (1955-60).

Premise:

"Michael Anthony", secretary to unseen multi-millionaire "John Bersford Tipton",
presents one million dollars, tax free, to a different needy person each week.

Imagine being able to pay off a family's mortgage, pay off their cars, pay for a needed surgery, where funds are otherwise unavailable.

Nowadays, it would need to be retitled as "The Billionaire" :lol:

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Rich. Fame could be fun, but not useful enough to choose over the other 2 options. Influence could be used to make the world a better place (if I were that guy), but I could just as easily do that with money. The difference is that money would also improve my quality of life (and the peoples' I care about) which is a priority.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Influential. So when I tell users what to do to browse the web safely and not get infected, they'll actually listen.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

Rich, I'm not interested in anyone seeing my face in every magazine going and I don't like telling people what to do.

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

I would choose rich.

I don't care if I'm not famous, don't care if nobody knows me.

The people I would like to have influence on, well, they don't listen to me now (they're just out of H.School) so I'm pretty sure they already know it all. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

I choose rich, after that fame and influence will follow closely, money talks and people will always listen.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

To be honest i think they kind of blend together, clearly some people are one with the other two, or two without the other one but once you have any one of the three gaining the others isn't so hard. Clearly there is a difference between them but in some way's it's hard not to end up being all three once you have one of them.

If you're rich: You can use the money to promote yourself and become famous, and to encourage or discourage others from performing certain actions thereby being influential.
If you're famous: People will pay to have you appear at events for them meaning you get rich quite rapidly especially when advertisers want you to endorse a product for them, plenty of people know your name so the things you say spread far and fast making you influential.
If you're influential: you can influence people to take actions which result in a profit to you hence becoming rich, and you can influence people to spread your name and words making you famous.

Edited by rp88, 10 March 2015 - 07:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 simALITY

simALITY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

With fame comes a spotlight.  With influence comes unending expectations and responsibilities.  I'd take the money though.  As a member of the working class it seems like I spend at least a third of my time worrying about money.  To be free of that constant worry would be a gift.  

Yes, I know, most people who suddenly strike it rich end up broke within a year.  Therefore the first thing I'd do would be to hire a financial advisor to help me manage it so that I wouldn't blow it all in one place.  I don't want to live the highlife.  I just don't want to have to worry about money all the time anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users