Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Pro Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

So recently my computer was getting bogged down with programs and files so I backed up my files and reinstalled the operating system. At the time I was running Windows 7 but since I had recently purchased Windows 8.1 I decided to use that instead. After installing the operating system I went online to download the necessary drivers and software because they had not been installed with the operating system. However I have had a problem shutting down, restarting, and sleeping my computer. Whenever I try to shut it down it goes through the standard process of shutting down but after the screen goes black the power light does not turn off and it remains in kind of a sleep mode until I hold down the power button to turn it off. The same thing happens when I restart. When I hit restart it goes through the standard way of restarting then the screen goes black but the power light never goes off and it is frozen and never reboots until I hold down the power button to turn it off. A similar thing happens when I leave the computer running for a little while. It will go into sleep mode of sorts but the power light doesn't blink like it normally does when in sleep mode. It is impossible to get out of this mode besides holding down the power button to shut it down like I mentioned previously. I believe this has something to do with the power drivers for my computer although I don't understand how because I installed the proper Lenovo Energy Management Software shortly after installing my new Operating System. I have turned off Fast Startup from the power options and gone into device manager to see if any devices were not functioning but everything appears to be running normally within the operating system. I would appreciate if you could provide any insight into this dilemma. If you need any logs or extra information please let me know. I am running a Lenovo Essentials B575 with Windows 8.1 Pro and an AMD Graphics Card.

-Benjamin Gordon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Update: I updated the Lenovo Power Management Software for Windows 8.1 vs the Windows 7 version that came with my computer but that didn't help. Anyone got any ideas??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Benjamin

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

See this levono thread. It is for the preview version of Windows 8.1 but it may be your issue. Windows 8.1 uses a EFI partition scheme. If you open up Disk Managment and see EFI then that may be the problem for your computer. In order to use EFI, the disk has to be GPT and not MBR. Some BIOS's do not play well with GPT disks. Most firmware on a GPT disk computer today is UEFI and not BIOS.  Install Windows 8.1 using a the legacy partition scheme of Windows 7 using the instructions in the thread. After install you should have two partitions, one being the normal 100MB system reserved partition of Windows 7.

This could be a BIOS issue. Updating the BIOS to a newer version may help but be advised a bad flash can brick your computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#4 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

After looking at the thread and checking my disk management that does seem to be the culprit. The system partition is EFI vs the original legacy build from Windows 7. However if I back up my current system using a system image, reinstall Windows 8.1 Pro using the legacy layout, then restore the system using the system image, will that reset the system back to the EFI boot partition that I am currently using?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Yes, you would get the EFI system partition and then you would be getting the same issues. You need to reinstall fresh as shown on the Lenovo thread and make sure Windows 8 does not use a EFI partition on your disk by deleting the appropriate files. Or, if you have a retail key of Windows 7 you could download the media and reinstall 7.

#6 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Then how would I back up my current programs, files, and settings and restore them in the new OS without reverting to the EFI system partition again?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

You would need to reinstall everything, sorry.

There may be one possible solution but it is paid software. It is the Aoemi Partition Assistant Pro that can convert a system GPT disk to MBR but I cannot confirm if this would work or not. Doing a conversion like this always has risks. I would contact their tech support and tell them of the problem and if the conversion would solve it. I would ask if the conversion would remove the EFI partition replace it with the legacy 100MB partition and if it failed would you be able to get a refund.

#8 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

I am willing to reinstall the Operating System like in the thread, I was just wondering if there was a backup software either paid or free that would allow me to restore the current programs, files, and settings on my computer after I have reinstalled the OS. I will check out AOEMI Partition Assistant and see if that might work as well. I would assume there would be some kind of backup software that would back up just the C Drive and not the System Partition if needed. Or maybe there is a way to modify a system image to leave the System partition in it's default state and just restore the C Drive, where all my files, programs, and settings are.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

There is software that can backup the C: partition but I am not sure how this would work because you are going from a GPT disk to a MBR disk and the EFI partition interacts differently with the Windows partition vs a MBR disk.

Software that can backup up just the C: partition would be Macrium Free. It can also back up the entire disk and restore either the entire disk or one partition on the disk.

#10 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

AOMEI has a Backup Software that claims to be able to backup the whole system or individual partitions which is what I want. They are currently testing a new version (2.5) so they are giving the premium version for free to anyone willing to test out the beta version (2.5). The beta version apparently has a feature that allows for a universal restore which might be helpful for our purposes. I will post the link below and you tell me whether you think that might do the job. If the partition does not work with the MBR disk then I can at least revert back to the EFI Partition and access my files again. I think I will back up my files manually and back up my programs using Total Uninstall so at least if the backup does not work I can still restore my files and programs and just configure my settings manually.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

Aoemi makes a good imaging program. Universal restore is when you image from one computer to another with different hardware. Drivers are installed during the image restore. I don't know if this would work for a GPT to MBR disk though. I would email them with that question.

Another thing to note. If you back up the disk with Aoemi, you can also mount the image to a virtual drive to access any files. You do not have to revert back to the EFI partition to access your files.

#12 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:07 PM

OK I will create a backup of the C Drive using AOMEI Backupper and then Reinstall Windows 8.1 Pro in Legacy mode. Then I will use the AOMEI software to restore my backup to the C Drive and we will see how that goes. If it fails I will mount the backup and transfer my files and such to the computer manually and reinstall the programs and settings from the original source I obtained them from. I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

-Benjamin

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

Sound like a plan. Keep BC updated on how it goes, especially restoring the EFI image to the legacy disk.

#14 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Ignore

Edited by BenjaminsiPod, 05 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#15 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Ignore

Edited by BenjaminsiPod, 05 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users