Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution/DPI problem.. need more room!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kurtlesb

kurtlesb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hi all, am new to these forums and it seems like a good place to become a part of.. anyways im after some help regarding my display for my computer. I have my close to 40 inch monitor plugged into my nvidia gefore gt 730 via HDMI... My problem is the resolution. I remember on all my older computers and smaller screens i had the resolution set much higher and I had more space on the screen, ie smaller icons, smaller start bar.. basically like everything has shrunk.

The native resolution is 1360x768, but when i try make it higher, which works and makes everything smaller, everything seems to be too blurry, I have tried using windows settings to change it and also nvidia settings. But everytime i do try change it, it just doesnt look right but at the same time its how i want it.. I have also tried changing the DPI settings but its at 100% and cant go any lower unless i edit registry but then people say it affects certain applications..

The main reason i am doing this is so when i use certain applications like Ableton and Unity3D i have more room in there and its more spread out, i will hopefully include some screen shots, if it does work, the black screen for unity3d is the guys setup and then there will be a picture of mine which is real clunky.. 

thanks for any help, also if i was to just deal with a bit of blurriness and i was going to set the resolution higher and just adjust the cut off points for the screen, firstly will it damage my tv, and secondly what is resolution that would be a bit better to use, should i be using p or i? i dont know difference..

once again thanks very much!

My Resolution Now

image.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/c0hlxpt2h/

How i want it 

Untitled.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/qte7kcmnx/

App UI

image.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/whh91pfuz/

How I want it 

image.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/7e4ybv72b/

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 04 March 2015 - 05:59 PM.
Moved to 'External hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

To answer your last bit first - p or i ?  These are different aspect ratios and the 'i' ratio reflects your 'recommended resolution' better so go for 'i'.

It would be very useful if you could post the make and model of the monitor, but 'recommended resolutions' are normally the maximum the screen will take. If you look at the image below you will see that the resolution slider is set as high as it will go, at the recommended level - the maximum for my 1920x1080 screen. I can run it at a lower resolution but not higher.

Your video card may be capable of higher resolutions than 1360x768. but as you have discovered, they don't look right. I suspect the answer is a higher resolution screen, and at 40 inch I would have expected better capability. Mine is only a 24 inch screen.

But post the make and model, somebody else may have a brighter idea !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

If the native resolution is 1360x768, that is the resolution you should be using.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

I agree with Chris... If this is your monitor  The maximum resolution is 1080 x 1920  To troubleshoot further please provide your monitor model.  One question that you didn't answer is weather it Ever was the way you wanted it with your current setup. And to answer your p or i question ...P is better (newer) than i as seen in the pics at the link.

#5 kurtlesb

kurtlesb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:08 AM

ok thanks for the replies, i understand that it is best to stick to native but i dont understand why i cant make it higher as it is a decent sized tv, i even tried plugging it in via VGA but settings are basically the same. i may have exaggerated the size a little, its 32 inch, but regardless of that, it should still be a bit better in my opinion. If i cant change resolution, is there any other way to achieve what i am after, in regards to more space on the monitor cause its just so fat. lol

here is the stats for the tv

image.jpg

appears that the settings it is on is what it is capable of so obviously its gonna not be the best if i do make it bigger so is there another way?   TV model is a Samsung la32a450c1d 

really appreciate the help thanks

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Panel screens use one pixel to display one pixel to be represented at their native resolution.  If you try to go higher than the native resolution you are asking the display to use one pixel to display more than one pixel, it just isn't possible.  Going the other way, reducing the resolution you are using more than one pixel on the display to represent one pixel to be displayed, also not the optimum.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

I was obviously suffering an attack of the stupids last night - here is the image I meant to add to my post !  Also, TV screens are not - except for HD TVs - particularly high resolution, they only have sufficient resolution to handle the transmitted signal.

Chris Cosgrove

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4oyishznaxecs2/Screen%20resolution.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 March 2015 - 08:54 AM.
Additional information

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

It seems like you should be able to get this to work the way you want to but im not 100% sure as the native resolution is indeed 1360x768.  Have you tried ' Naming the port for pc ?' Taken from your tv's FAQ:

[FAQs] 3D : HDMI PC Connection: Text Is Fuzzy / Image Isn’t Clear

Last Update date : 2015.02.10

Common complaints when connecting a computer to the TV are either the text on the screen is fuzzy or that images seem grainy. This is because the TV's scaling is set for standard HDMI input. To resolve these image issues, you simply need to rename the input "PC" or "PC DVI". Once renamed the TV will adjust the scaling of the input.

Note: For instructions on how to edit the source name, you may refer to your user manual (Naming Your Source); and for the how-to guide or troubleshooting guide (Naming The Input On Your TV). 

Important: Use the HDMI port with the DVI port for the PC connection. This is the input intended for PC connections.

You may also be able to change the aspect ratio to get your desired display setting.  If not.. this is a limitation of your tv and not the video card.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

is there any other way to achieve what i am after, in regards to more space on the monitor

No, not by having the entire desktop displayed.

Only what can be fitted on the 1360x768 matrix of screen pixels can be displayed without becoming blurry. If your software generates a higher resolution image (to fit more stuff in), and it gets shrunk back down in the TV to the TV screen resolution, there just aren't enough pixels there to display the detail. Nothing can be done about that.

Some video cards let you display a higher resolution desktop on a lower resolution screen by presenting a porthole view of the portion of the desktop that will fit on the screen with the proper 1-to-1 pixel map. When you try to mouse off the edge of the screen to see more, it is scrolled across to let you see the extra bit. I find that extremely annoying, so I've never used the facility.

The best solution is to organize to somehow get a higher resolution screen. :)

Until then, checking the ways already suggested to ensure the TV is giving you the best image it can is the most you'll be able to do.

The TV's user manual specifies HDMI IN 2 is the correct input for computer, interlace mode is not supported so choose "p" video mode at 60Hz.

Inputs can only be re-named from a fixed list, and the manual does not say if the naming choice alters the processing done by the scaler in the TV. You could alter the HDMI IN 2 to say PC if you wish.

There is also manual image quality adjustment available (not automatic when using HDMI/DVI). User Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200806/20080611182003984_BN68-01424G-02Eng-0515.pdf

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users