Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Documents sent to print queue, but then disappears

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 larsjorgen

larsjorgen

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'm trying to make a printer work, but still I what ever I do I get the same problem. I've tested it with both usb and wireless and 3 different drivers, and it still doesn't work. I also tried the add/remove printer function without luck. Resetting the print spooler service and checking other services connected to it didn't do anything either. 

The printer used to work until a Win 7 update was downloaded and installed a few days ago. After the updates had been installed the computer became very slow and the printer stopped working. I did a system restore to before the install, and that solved the problem with the computer being slow. The printer, however, still doesn't work; the computer and printer do have contact, there's no problem there, but when I click "print" the document is sent to the print queue, it stays in the queue for about one second, and then it just disappears and nothing happens. 

I'm all out of ideas here. What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

What is the printer? Are you getting the correct driver from the printer manufacturer's site?

In the past I have had to go into the control panel and delete/uninstall all of the printer driver programs and after doing a reboot, download and install the recommended driver from the printer's site.

I know that the HP install needs to be done initially as a USB install before you can establish an IP for the printer so it can go wireless. Once there is an IP stored on the printer you can install and reinstall the printer via the IP as a wireless on other network systems.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:14 AM

It's a Lexmark x4950. Original drivers from their site. I did do that as well - remove all programs and drivers, rebooting and then installing it all over again. I do have som experience with this as I work with computers, but this case is a mystery to me. 

That's correct, we had to use the cable to be able to set it up wirelessly. The install process is pretty much the same for wireless and USB, really, only there's a couple of extra steps for setting up the wireless. Still not working though.

#4 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Other ideas?

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

When you set up the printer did you assign an IP? If so can you ping it from the computer? If not, can you assign one?

Dick E

#6 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

It does have an ip, but do you think maybe there's something funny going on between the pc and printer because of no contact? 

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

I think there's a break in the communications link. If you know the IP of the printer you should be able to open a browser and type it in and contact the printer. This should also allow you to verify all of the settings.

If there's a router in the mix could the assigned IP be outside the IP range allowed by the router? [another straw]

Dick E

#8 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

Not sure if that's the problem - we have the same issues when using the cable. 

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Is the cable connected to the router or the computer?

If you know the IP of the printer and you are unable to connect to it via wire or wireless I'm thinking that it [the printer] might be the problem

Dick E

#10 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Cable from printer to pc, not via router. The printer worked before a Win update, stopped working over night. The computer also became slow after the update, so I rolled back the Win to before the update. The pc slowing down worked out, but the printer still doesn't work. Maybe I missed something when rolling back the update? 

Edited by larsjorgen, 10 March 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#11 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Bump

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete