Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 760 Slim Line

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

I had a Hard drive failure on this  unit. It is SATA type connectors. I have never had a DVD/CD unit in the computer, so thought I would add a CD/DVD while I changed the hard drive. I removed the face plate where the CD goes, but cannot find another power cable to go to the CD/DVD player. I  have what seems like one power cable hooked into the new hard drive, but do not see another  power cable for the CD player? Is there a Y cable I can put on one of these power connectors to make a connection to the CD player? It does have a large ORANGE cable going to where the CD/DVD player is but it looks like the SATA connector...cant find another power connector? Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

One of the ways that system integrators like dell save money is by providing the most minimal to get a system put together 'that works'  Could you maybe take a picture of what different cable your talking about?  Or.. have a look here.. which one does the extra connector look like?  It may be that the power supply can not support but one device.  Even tho the cable is coming off of the SATA drive it is normally meant to be used as Either/ Or --Not both.  You could run into power issues or strange results trying to run an SATA drive and SATA optical from one cable.  ( I would not do this ) Which means you would possibly need a different PSU that supports more than one peripheral.

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

The cable that goes to the back of where the DVD should be is the DATA cable for the DVD unit. Thank you for the excellent link to photos...the SATA power cable goes to the hard drive, but there is only this one power cable. Seems odd since they have the data cable for the DVD, but no extra power connector for the DVD. As you mentioned, this really is a "cheap" response by DELL. Not sure how you could configure a computer with only a DVD and no hard drive....I'm trying to see some logic here....hmmmmmm. Ideas? Thanks again!!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

Build a better pc? LOL ..JK.. Can you post a pic of the power supply and cables?  It would help me better understand whats going on under the hood since I have zero experience with slimline computers and I think they were meant to be doorstops.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

How do I attach a photo to post.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

It looks like you cannot post an attachment on this forum. Usually you can click more reply options and it will let you attach a file. Some of the forums do not allow you to do this. You will need to post to a third party image website and then link the photo.

If the PSU has the SATA power cord you can purchase a Y-split like this or if you have an available Molex power cable you can get one of these. You could probably find a cheaper one on Ebay.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

I am going to try and send you a link here in a second to a picture. I am trying to hook up a hard drive (SATA)...I cant get the power sata cable to go into the hard drive...I have a MOLEX to SATA adapter cable that plugs in fine, but the cable from the Dell power supply does not want to plug into the back of the hard drive. Are there two types of SATA power connectors or versions? Will get back to  you with a link to some pics of the problem. Thanks!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

For a regular 2.5 or 3.5 HDD the sata connections for the power cable are identical. This is a stock image. YeahBleeping posted the link for the SATA power cable itself. It is designed in such a way that it can only go on one way.

800px-2.5-inch_SATA_drive_on_top_of_a_3.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Edit: I found this.

Some older Dell Small Form Factor system's power supplies used a non-standard power connector to power the Slimline Optical drives through an IDE to SATA Interposer. As technology evolved this power connector was removed in newer Dell power supplies being replaced by "Slimline SATA."

You might be better off getting one of these that can split a molex into two standard SATA connections.

Edit Edit: I think it will clearer when you post the end image of the Dell SATA Power connector. I believe the above link concerns the optical drive connector. I can't imagine Dell using a non-standard SATA power connector for a standard SATA HDD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/herbal121/IMG_5899.jpg

This picture has 2 connectors...the one on the left plugs in fine to the hard drive...the one on the right, is the one from the dell power supply...It wont plug in to the hard drive.

That  plug that plugs in fine...is a MOLEX TO SATA cable. The Dell cable from the power supply  in the slimline is SATA..

Edited by jake21, 05 March 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#11 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/herbal121/IMG_5898.jpg

This is the DELL SATA power cable I cannot get to  plug into the hard drive

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/herbal121/IMG_5895.jpg

This is the cable that  plugs into the hard drive easy?

See any difference?

Edited by jake21, 05 March 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#12 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

A quick little side bar here...I reviewed YEAHBLEEP links to the pictures of SATA power connectors. Note that on the two pictures I have posted of non working and working connectors. The stock cable from the DELL power supply has 5 wires ( this is the original Dell Power supply Sata cable)..this is the one that will not plug into the back of the hard drive I am trying to install.

The cable that installs fine on the hard drive ( see above pictures) has only 4 wires? I wonder if this is part of the issue here?

Thanks again for great help!!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

I would need to see a end view of the connector that plugs in easily. The Dell connector looks like a standard SATA power connector. Looking at the bottom of the connector there looks to be a blockage. This is at the bottom that has  a L-channel. In the below image, it would be on the left of the connector. I do not think the number of wires makes a difference.

satapowerfaq.jpg

You can see the channel better on the left of this image. Is it Blocked on the Dell connector?

800px-SATA_power_cable.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#14 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

I took a picture of the problem connector....note the end..appears that it has been either melted/smashed,etc. Apologize for picture...best I can do on a closeup. Would it be an option to just replace the good connector to power line? One is 4 wire the other 5.....or I suppose to order another connector piece and replace. I tried using paperclip,etc. to dislodge this...wont budge....looks like possibly a heat issue: Thoughts?

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/herbal121/IMG_5901.jpg

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

It definitely looks damaged on that end. It looks like a heat issue. Looking at the image, the left edge looks deformed also. I don't know of any other way it could have been damaged other than at the factory. I would use the molex to a y-split connector as I linked to in Post#9. This would give you two SATA power connectors from one molex connector.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)