Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which RAM to use

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 adrianrff

adrianrff

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hi, I just bought this desktop (all I could afford) and I want to add 4 more GB of RAM, but I understand that you can not mix memories without checking a few things first, so I was wondering if you could help me out finding something that suits.

Appart from the datasheet, I've found some information online, but I can't really make much of it given my limited experience in the computer realm:

Found this here:

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports the following:
PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

NOTE:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

NOTE:
Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

I'm not sure if this refers to the type of memory that the motherboard supports or if it means that I can just add a memory with these specs to the one that's already there and it will work fine.

Am I better off just buying an 8 Gb set?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by adrianrff, 04 March 2015 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

You could probably find a 4gb stick of memory with the same timings and it would work.  I always recommend buying a 8gb kit and googling to see if there are any issues with it on your rig.   Do you have a 64bit system OS?  

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#3 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi, I just bought this desktop (all I could afford) and I want to add 4 more GB of RAM, but I understand that you can not mix memories without checking a few things first, so I was wondering if you could help me out finding something that suits.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity ** 

I'm not sure if this refers to the type of memory that the motherboard supports or if it means that I can just add a memory with these specs to the one that's already there and it will work fine.

Thanks in advance.

A few things to take note...

Have you used the program called CPU-ID? It's great and it will tell you what memory modules you have inside the computer.

Google search 'cpu id' , then download and install it. Very easy to use. 

Once you find out what memory modules you have, then you can make a better decision on how much you want to upgrade your RAM to.

My recommendation is to maximize the RAM on that computer to 16 GB. 

Edited by Serpius, 04 March 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#4 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

You could probably find a 4gb stick of memory with the same timings and it would work.  I always recommend buying a 8gb kit and googling to see if there are any issues with it on your rig.   Do you have a 64bit system OS?  

Thanks, sjpritch25. Yes, the OS is 64 bit. What are the draw backs of just picking a suitable memory stick and putting it to work alongside the existing one?

** Rest of post deleted for brevity ** 

Thanks in advance.

A few things to take note...

Have you used the program called CPU-ID? It's great and it will tell you what memory modules you have inside the computer.

Google search 'cpu id' , then download and install it. Very easy to use. 

Once you find out what memory modules you have, then you can make a better decision on how much you want to upgrade your RAM to.

My recommendation is to maximize the RAM on that computer to 16 GB. 

Thank you, Serpius.

I placed the order yesterday, so I haven't got the desktop with me yet, but that's good info. I'll do that as soon as I get it. Regarding your recomendation, the heaviest software I'd be using here is Autocad and some other Engineering softwares, maybe a few games but nothing hardcore. With this in mind, is 8Gb of RAM insufficient?

Edited by adrianrff, 04 March 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

8 GB of memory should be fine for autocad2015 Where you may run into some ' performance ' issues is the onboard graphics.  Not the best and you may want to get an aftermarket discreet GPU. ( graphics card).  And to do that you may have to get a better PSU ( power supply) I am thinking you could have put something together at magicmicro or buy.com for about the same amount and have a better computer but obviously too late for that.  I suspect that when you get this computer it will have 4 banks of memory either full of 1GB modules or 2 banks of memory each with 2GB modules.  I am 99% sure this will not come with a 4gb memory module.  Thus you will have to get 2 4GB modules yourself.  Hope this helps ~ yeah

#6 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

8 GB of memory should be fine for autocad2015 Where you may run into some ' performance ' issues is the onboard graphics.  Not the best and you may want to get an aftermarket discreet GPU. ( graphics card).  And to do that you may have to get a better PSU ( power supply) I am thinking you could have put something together at magicmicro or buy.com for about the same amount and have a better computer but obviously too late for that.  I suspect that when you get this computer it will have 4 banks of memory either full of 1GB modules or 2 banks of memory each with 2GB modules.  I am 99% sure this will not come with a 4gb memory module.  Thus you will have to get 2 4GB modules yourself.  Hope this helps ~ yeah

Yeah, I know this was not the best buy, but considering that I don't live in the US and shipping fees are extremely high, having several packages (different parts) shipped would've been too expensive, I needed something that was already put together. I also was tied to Amazon because I had the money in a gift card. I probably could've find something better, but coming from a +10 year old computer with integrated GPU in an old intel processor and 2GB of ram, I'm pretty sure anything that comes inside this HP will be an improvement.

I hadn't thought about the memory modules, I guess I'll wait to see what's inside and buy the 8GB set If it's like you say. I was planning to buy a GPU anyway, is the PSU not powerful enough to handle anything else?

#7 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I know this was not the best buy, but considering that I don't live in the US and shipping fees are extremely high, having several packages (different parts) shipped would've been too expensive, I needed something that was already put together. I also was tied to Amazon because I had the money in a gift card. I probably could've find something better, but coming from a +10 year old computer with integrated GPU in an old intel processor and 2GB of ram, I'm pretty sure anything that comes inside this HP will be an improvement.

I hadn't thought about the memory modules, I guess I'll wait to see what's inside and buy the 8GB set If it's like you say. I was planning to buy a GPU anyway, is the PSU not powerful enough to handle anything else?

Adrian,

You *may* have to purchase a higher wattage power supply unit, if you do get a new graphics card.

There are many variables to consider, but if I was advising you, I would go ahead and check how many watts your current PSU is.

Remember, computer manufacturers will skimp on power supply units to increase their profit margin. 

If you do get a graphics card, look for the minimum PSU wattage on the package, or if looking online... check the graphics card specs.

If you find out that your current power supply unit does not meet the minimum requirements of the graphics card, then obviously you will need to get a new PSU.

#8 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Adrian,

You *may* have to purchase a higher wattage power supply unit, if you do get a new graphics card.

There are many variables to consider, but if I was advising you, I would go ahead and check how many watts your current PSU is.

Remember, computer manufacturers will skimp on power supply units to increase their profit margin. 

If you do get a graphics card, look for the minimum PSU wattage on the package, or if looking online... check the graphics card specs.

If you find out that your current power supply unit does not meet the minimum requirements of the graphics card, then obviously you will need to get a new PSU.

It's only 300W, and from what I've seen almost every card requires more than 300W, so it seems I'll have to buy a PSU as well. Fortunately they're not too expensive.

Edited by adrianrff, 05 March 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Adrian,

It's only 300W, and from what I've seen almost every card requires more than 300W, so it seems I'll have to buy a PSU as well. Fortunately they're not too expensive.

Adrian,

DO NOT cheap out on power supply units.

Cheaply made PSU are fire hazards!

You do not want to deal with that!

I highly recommend Seasonic Power Supply Units. 

Look at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/kpkqubz

It's 500 watts 80+ Bronze - Perfect for your computer.

#10 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

Ok, that looks good, a little over what I was willing to pay, but I'll manage.

Thanks, everyone. You've all been very helpful.

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

Adrian,

It may be a bit pricey, but in the long run, it's worth it!

I have a Seasonic in my computer, quiet as it can be. 

#12 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

Adrian,

I ended up returning the PC; the box was too big. I found something a little better for $20 more on Amazon, but I'll see if I can put something together instead. I can have a friend repackage the whole thing and send it to me, and buy the case here. Keeping in mind that I don't need a top of the line processor (but preferably Intel) nor graphics card, what would you recommend with $500 and is it hard to put it together? I feel I don't know enough to do it myself, but I know people who do.

Edited by adrianrff, 08 March 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#13 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

Adrian,

I ended up returning the PC; the box was too big. I found something a little better for $20 more on Amazon, but I'll see if I can put something together instead. I can have a friend repackage the whole thing and send it to me, and buy the case here. Keeping in mind that I don't need a top of the line processor (but preferably Intel) nor graphics card, what would you recommend with $500 and is it hard to put it together? I feel I don't know enough to do it myself, but I know people who do.

Adrian,

Review my recommended new computer build as shown in the link below. It is under $500 and you will be able to get a brand new computer built.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GB8wFT

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

#14 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Adrian,

Adrian,

Review my recommended new computer build as shown in the link below. It is under $500 and you will be able to get a brand new computer built.

That looks great, Serpius, thanks so much! I can even afford to change that Core i3 for an i5 (only a few more bucks). Regarding the case, do they come disassambeled? Remember reducing the total volume is important for me. I can buy that here if it takes up too much space, what should I look for in a case in case(no pun intended) I have to buy it here?

#15 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

Adrian,

Adrian,

That looks great, Serpius, thanks so much! I can even afford to change that Core i3 for an i5 (only a few more bucks). Regarding the case, do they come disassambeled? Remember reducing the total volume is important for me. I can buy that here if it takes up too much space, what should I look for in a case in case(no pun intended) I have to buy it here?

Adrian,

Depending on your budget, if you are going to go for the i5, please get the i5 4690k. You will be able to get the best bang out of your money.

I don't know how much space you are going for, but the case that I recommended is a mid-tower measuring 17 inches high by 8 inches wide by 19 inches deep.

The case is perfect because it's "screwless" type of case, with the exception of the side panel screws. The only screws that you have to worry about are the motherboard screws to place the motherboard on the motherboard panel. The rest of the computer components like the hard drive and DVD drive can be secured by the latches that hold the drives down, therefore screws are not needed.

This case you can bring a lot of wiring and cables behind the motherboard panel to give the inside a cleaner look and allow better airflow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users