Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Avalon60

Avalon60

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Ever since yesterday morning some of my USB 2 devices stopped working , as in Device not Recognised. The 2 devices are my Epson Laser printer and Epson Scanner. Both have worked without any error upto yesterday morning.

I was also getting a Code 34 error against one of the lines under USB Controllers here:

'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed'.

I have tried using the printer while it was plugged it was plugged into a usb 3.0 socket,but still got the same error message.

I have re installed the drivers and software for my printer, but that didn't work either

2 other USB 2 devices, mouse and weather station, work fine in a USB 3.0 socket, but not my printer nor scanner.

I have tried a different usb cable but no difference.

I am using MS windows 8.1 which is upto date with updates. I did think about installing the windows update file:

KB2919355-x64.msu, but I'll hold off untill it needs to be the last resort, lol.

Here is the link to my speccy log:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gHARN0CLOBp4Vr3b2n1IlSZ

Thanks

Edited by Avalon60, 04 March 2015 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

The instructions below are for Windows 7, but this will work with Windows 8/8.1.  Rather than clicking on the Start orb you will need to open the Search Charm and type in Control Panel.  Click on the Control Panel when it appears under Apps.  Follow the instructions below to continue.

Click on the Start orb, then click on Control Panel.

When the Contorl Panel opens click on Power Options.

In the Power Options there are two Plan options, Balanced and Power saver.  Both of these have the option Change plan options. click on this option for the plan being used.

poweroptions_zps6601b855.png

Click on Change advanced power settings

poweroptions1_zps30e6c8a6.png 

In the Advanced settings click on the (+) next to the USB settings.

Click on the (+) next to Selective suspend settings.

Click on Enabled, then click on the down arrow to open the options.

Click on Disabled

Click on Apply, then OK

poweroptions2_zps8e5d4a5a.png

Close the Control Panel and restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

Thanks but I'm afaraid it did not make any difference, and nor did it after I did a sytem restore from last week when all was ok. I am still getting the said error message..

In device Mangler under USB controllers it says Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

#4 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

I don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree here, but I have been doing some checking on the usb list under USB controllers, to see what is using what driver.

I found that most of them, like Generic USB Hub and Composite devices are using these:

USBccg.sys

USBehci.sys

USBPort.sys

and also in some cases this one:

AiChargerPlus.sys

The Unknown USB Device is using this one: AiChargerPlus.sys and no other.

Now on a win7 Pro machine , which I have installed the said printer on, uses this driver:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys

Is there any way I can get the printer on my windows 8.1 machine to use the same driver, which is in the same location in win8.1?

Edit: I have just tried to point windows to the same file as above, but even when I type the location and file name, I get an error message saying it cannot find the file.

It now sounds like something is screwed up.

On a side note, I have found that windows will not save my power settings at times and also, when I wanted to run the cmd.exe file, windows complained it could not find the file in the WinSXS amd64_microsoft-windows etc , etc, but it is there.

It seems for some unknown reasons windows or something is changing drivers and locations etc.

Edited by Avalon60, 05 March 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#5 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

A mod can change this topic to SOLVED

What I did after doing some reading up on USB ports and devices on various other websites, I unplugged all my USB devices except the mouse and keyboard, then shut down the computer.

I pulled the power plug out and pressed the power on button on the case repeatedly for about a minute or so. I left the machine unplugged for near on 4/5 minutes before I plugged it back in and restarted it.

Once windows was back up, I then plugged in the Epson printer to a USB port and it was ok, no more 'Device Not Recognised' messages.

I then plugged in the other USB devices after I unplugged the printer, and then after all the other devices were up and running, so to speak, I then plugged in the Printer once more. This time I got the 'Device Not Recognised' message again. So I unplugged a couple of other devices and plugged the printer back in. This time it was ok. So , as I have a USB3 4 port hub with its own power supply, I plugged 2 devices into that, then putbvt6he printer cable back in and it was ok.

So it seems that the problem was too many usb devices plugged in.

I re installed the printer software etc and it now works ok again

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Glad to hear you figured it out.

Bleeping Computer does not recognize topics as being solved.  Nor do topics get closed because a problem has been resolved.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

OK, I just thought I would mention that it was solved.

Well that part was anyways, and it took me some time and numerous reboots, as well as doing a system restore from last week, which did not make any difference.

I read something on one website something about too many usb devices, and I didn't think anything of it as there were no problems before. Also, what I have found is that the 4 port USB 2.0 PCIe card I have been using for 2 years no longer works.

The next problem I have is Win8.1 does not save my power settings every now and again, but that is a different topic.

Edited by Avalon60, 05 March 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

The next problem I have is Win8.1 does not save my power settings every now and again, but that is a different topic.

I agree, you should open another topic to address this issue. :thumbup2:

#9 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

A further update here:

The same problem has come back more or less 24 hours after I solved it. This time the solution I applied yesterday does not work today.

Again it did not matter which USB 2 or 3 port I plugged the printer into, as the first USB lead, it still produced the Device Not Regonised error message.

All other devices are working fine, and to get around this problem I have had to install the same printer on a windows 7 machine, and share it to my windows 8.1 machine. Its not ideal, but it will have to do for the time being.

I can't help but think that it is some hardware problem, but definitely not the printer.

Anything else I should or could look at or do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users