Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1, lost administrator password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

I bought a new Dell pc with windows 8.1 about a year ago and immediately set it up to log on without a password. Problem is that I have now forgotten the password. :oopsign: This is not an immediate problem because it logs on without the password. The problem is, if I log off accidently at any time, I will be stuck. :thumbdown:

I have gone to "change password" where I am requested to enter the old password. It fails and I had hoped to be given a password "hint", but no.  I think I would need to log off to get to the password hint, but I am not presently brave enough to log off. Can I somehow retrieve the hint without logging off?

I am hoping that it may be possible to retrieve my password from my "logged on" environment?

I have searched for answers but cannot find anything that relates to finding passwords while logged on.

Any suggestions? :blink:

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kahall

kahall

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hi, 

well since you have already tried to guess your password by changing it while logged in you are kind of stuck but not really. 

I have an answer that will work but just glancing at the forum rules it might not be allowed. I'm not sure though. 

what I was going to post is in an article at pcworld. Search for  "Locked out? Get back into Windows 8 by resetting your password." Your not really locked out but might be at some point and this is the only way I know of that will let you reset your password when you don't know the original. 

I've done it a few times. It works. 

#3 james

james
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for looking at this.

As I am "in at the moment" I am really reluctant to step out and lock the door behind me!!

Slightly concerned that the article you mention says things like "you should be able to find...etc" :wacko:

I looked at the "ceate password reset disc" but clearly I need my password to do this, I still find it annoying that windows does not offer you the "hint" that I must have typed in at the start!

I may consider calling Dell who will hopefully ID me from my original service tag number; I presume that they may help me...at a cost??  maybe the safest way forward??

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

I assume this is for a local account?

If it is, you could create another local account with administrative privileges, then use that account to remove or reset the password on your first.

If it's a Microsoft Account, you'll have to go through the account recovery/password reset process.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

Why not create a new account while you are logged in with this one?

Make it an administrator account.

transfer stuff from C:\Users\FORGOTPASSWORDACCOUNT to C:\Users\NEWACCOUNT

delete FORGOTPASSWORDACCOUNT

#6 james

james
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Yes, this is for a local account.

When I set up I simply set 1 local account.

I have now set up a 2nd account as you suggest. I have given the new account administrative privlages. I have also created a "microsoft account" in the process which may or may not help at some point?

zcomputorwiz:  I really like the simplicity of then resetting the password on the old account.  I assume that I would need to now log out of the old account and log back in on the new account before attempting to change the password of the old account.; Are you sure I can change the old account password without knowing the old account password?

I am still nervous to log out of the old account in case something does not work.

I perhaps will plan to back up all my files on external drive before trying this.

reast82;  This also seems like a good option, are you sure I will be able to access and transfer my files as you suggest... seems logical on the basis I have given myself administrate privileges... but I just want to be sure.

Many thanks

#7 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

James,

No problem --- if you are using an administrator account you'll have access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users