Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB hard drive suddenly gave error and then didn't work!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

The hard drive in question was one that originally came inside of an acer laptop that died recently, to keep the data and also make use of the 600gb HD which seemed to be working fine I got an external HD case and used it from my desktop PC via USB. Everything was fine until today while editing some photos which were on the drive I got an error that the drive was unavailable. It then automatically tried to reconnect but windows 7 told me that there was an unrecognized USB device trying to connect and that it couldn't install the drivers. I unplugged and replugged a few times then I got the error that the drive needs to be formatted before use (I now start to freak the hell out). I also tried plugging the USB into my laptop, the lights came on but nothing happened, no message at all in windows. As a last option I decided to try taking the HD out and switching it with the one inside my Toshiba laptop, turned the laptop on and somehow it managed to boot up the old windows installation which was on it and seems to be working fine, all files working.

Does anyone know what could have happened here? I am currently making an exact backup of the drive and a bit scared to put it back in the USB case till I at least have that. Maybe the USB case has the problem? I also noticed windows tells me the drive has errors and wants to scan it when I plug it in over the last several days, but I get that message on a lot of stuff so just ignored it.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

It sounds like the usb enclosure is the issue or possibly the usb cable you are using. The first step to test that theory you have already done which is removing it from the usb enclosure and connecting it directly. Since it seems to be working through the direct connection, it would be safe to assume the usb enclosure or the usb cable have an issue. Either way a backup is a good idea...

Do you know more specifically which error windows was giving related to the drive errors? Was it trying to do a chkdsk?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

Ok I just tried a different HD and different cable on a different computer with the USB case and it also gave error so I think you are right, the case is bust... Well at least my HD is fine, but is there anything I can do with this case or just chuck it out and buy a new one?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

On a few of the ones I had worked on the issue was the usb connector mounted to the pcv board, the connection or contact points were obviously damaged. In those cases if you have soldering experience, you can replace the usb connectors.

If there is no obvious issue with the connectors, I would just throw it and buy a new one. Most of the time it wouldn't be worth taking it to someone to have it soldered, you could probably get a new one cheaper than the cost of the work to fix it. Unless you do it yourself.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Oh well, guess its time to get a new one then, really glad my hd is ok t least... thanks for your help.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Glad to help, happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users