Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this speed up my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

I have recently decided to upgrade my old Fuitsu Lifebook ah530 to be able to run games (normally lower end) when away on business,

My specs are as follows so far -

6gb Ram

Intel HM55 HD Graphics (Integrated 1.7g shared memory - Only 64m dedicated which is a pain) Cannot change in bios

Intel Duel core P6200 2.1ghz Processor

64bit windows 7

I can play quite good games like Left4Dead2 and Stranded deep, But I'd just like to up the settings a bit to get that smooth Framerate (graphics arent a necessity, it's just casual gaming really when away)

So My plan, As I dont think I can Can upgrade the HM55 integrated Graphics card with a more modern intel integrated card or change the dedicated memory - Or can i?) I am going to upgrade the following, Will this improve my gaming enough to warrant the expenditure? (i'd prefer just to upgrade this than pay for another, I'm tight  :thumbup2: )

8GB Ram -

Duel Core I5 540m Processor - Motherboard is FJNBB06 so should be compatible http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/HM55_Express.html 

And possibly an SSD to replace the HDD - I've read these make a big difference in performance?  

Dependant on which one will deliver the best results and which I really need, I don't potentially need to get all 3, just need to upgrade enough to be able to get things smoother, I'm headed towards the ram and processor avenue but Id love some advice!

Thanks for the help,

Best regards,

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hello.  I am hesitant to say upgrading that laptop will give you satisfactory performance in your ' gaming ' experience because of the poor quality graphics card within.  Will an SSD, faster CPU and more memory give you an overall performance benefit? Yes. But the video card is going to hold you back quite a bit and you would be better off spending that hard earned money simply upgrading your laptop.  The Acer aspire here would be a significant upgrade.  Take your laptop to the nearest goodwill and get a 200 to 300 dollar voucher and take it off your taxes next year.  Anyway this is just my opinion that it isnt worth upgrading and you could do better MUCH better .. in a newer laptop.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

FWIW:

My take...has always been...based on production frequency and tecnological advances...laptops are not ever intended by the manufacturer to be anything other than "used and then discarded", in the same manner that we use paper towels and such.

If you look at the the numbers regarding models, features, etc over the last 5, 10, or even 15 years...I think this would become clear.

Based on prices and availability, difficulty in diagnosis and repair...desktops are the only systems where users should even consider using the term "upgrade" because desktops offer the flexibiltiy and ease to do such.

The manufacturers of laptops...expect users of such to become "return customers" for newer systems...they don't expect users to attempt "upgrades" and really seem to offer such only as another way of providing users with what would normally be considered "options" not "upgrades".

Louis

#4 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

Fair comments and also ones I did expect,
As I said it's just a bit of fun when I'm free and not at home, so at the moment I don't really need anything more, I will consider a new laptop for the long term,

Appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users