Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win 7 laptop extremely slow wireless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrodgers

mrodgers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hello. I need help with a brand new laptop with extremely poor wireless connection speed. I don't know if I should post in Win 7 section or networking section.  The following is all the info I can think to provide...

HP 350 G1
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter

Centurylink ISP 10 Mbps DSL
New wireless router purchased, Actiontec C1000A (same as Centurylink provides)
This replaced a 10 year old setup of my original DSL modem (2005) and router

Speedtest.net has consistantly given me 9.8 Mbps for 10 years on every device I've ever had whether wired or wireless including the very old work laptop with a cheap USB wireless adapter just prior to purchasing this new HP.

Currently getting 9.x Mbps on an old Sony Viao wirelessly running Windows Vista.

New HP 350 G1 gets 9.7-9.8 Mbps hardwired. Wireless I am getting 0.8 Mbps rendering the laptop pretty much useless (just using it wired is not an option, it's a laptop to use anywhere in the houseicon1.png.)

The few things I have done from searching for help....

- Deselected internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) upon suggestion read during an internet search (have since re-enabled)

- Wireless drivers downloaded and installed from HP.com

- Was running the old modem and seperate wireless router. As I said, it was 10 year old tech. from when I first got DSL (never realized I was paying $5 / month lease either, so $15 modem has cost me $600 over the last 10 years.)

- Purchased and connected the Actiontec C1000A last night as someone suggested my modem might have been just too old for current tech and Windows 7. Results are the same, 0.8 Mbps download with new HP computer (old Win Vista laptop still giving 9.x Mbps)

I had the laptop at work to ask someone at work. Running Speedtest.net at work gave me around 12 Mbps wired and 11 Mbps on the wireless. That's when I got the suggestion to replace the modem/router with a new one.

I am out of ideas. Every solution I find on the net is the same solution (update drivers, deselect IPv6, virus etc, which I haven't done a thing with the computer yet to get a virus.) I just figure it has to be a setting somewhere in the wireless card as I have no problems with it wired and no problems with any other device wired or wireless. Contacted Centurylink and they are of no help. Only told me there is no problem on their end with the connection.

Please help! It is much appreciated! (I am posting from work, so can read responses throughout the day, but won't be able to do anything until after 4 pm.)

Mike

Edited by mrodgers, 04 March 2015 - 08:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Have you tried the old cheap USB wireless adapter from your old laptop?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 mrodgers

mrodgers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

Have you tried the old cheap USB wireless adapter from your old laptop?

I meant to put that above.  I forgot it on my desk at work so haven't had a chance to try that yet.  Will do so tonight.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

It's weird, if you are getting 9+ on an old laptop at home and your new laptop is getting 12 at work, I am scratching my head at what the combo of home + new laptop could be that you are getting such slow speeds.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users