Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Having Trouble Running Some Games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mistaWAC

mistaWAC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

Okay, I'm new to these boards so bear with me if something is wrong or if it's in the wrong place.

My situation is this: my uncle just built my little cousin a computer for his birthday. I don't know what exact parts are in his computer but I do know that it's 997mHz processor, 256mb RAM, 64mb video card(I think), and on Windows XP Home (I think, Professional if not Home). The problem he's having is that the computer keeps running into problems. First, the power supply blew and I had to fix that. Then the network card stopped working, had to fix that. Now the problem we're having is that he can't run games. The games he's trying to run aren't blockbuster hits like Unreal Tournament 2004 or Doom 3 or anything, he's trying to play easy stuff like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 or Lego Star Wars. Everytime he tries playing these they freeze up two or three minutes into the game.

I'm normally good at fixing computers, but right now I'm at a loss. I'm spent about three hours just putzing around on this machine trying to figure out what's wrong, apparently with no luck. So now I'm turning to people who are hopefully better than me. At this point I have narrowed it down to a few things, but I don't know if they are what the problem is. Here are some possible problems:

>>Computer needs a reformat/repair of Windows. Everytime the computer starts up, an error about one of the 'rundll.exe' pops up. This could be causing issues with running demanding programs, such as games.

>>Hardware compatibility issues. Maybe one or more of the components inside the computer is have compat issues with another piece. I know that when I had to fix my dad's computer his new video card was having compat issues with the motherboard's AGP slot. Took me a bit to figure out that the drivers needed some updating.

>>Memory Leaks. Now I'm not to educated in this region. I've ran into very, very few (if any) memory leak issues. The only memory leak issues I'm having problems with right now are on my computer and there is nothing I can do because it's the game I'm playing's fault and it's up to the devs to fix it (City of Heroes).

That's what I've got right now. I really don't know where to go anymore because I'm out of options. I don't want to reformat/repair unless I KNOW for a fact that it needs it. I don't know very much about hardware because I've rarely run into compat issues or memory leaks.

Thanks in advance for any help. If there is anymore information you could use let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting it.

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 28 June 2006 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

Hello there!!!!

em... maybe im wrong but one thin ive spotted is the fact that the computer only has 256bm of ram..
These days 512 is recommended but even so that doesnt seem enough....

even for old school games or games which are not intense, i think 256mb is not enough if there are thngs running in the BACKGROUND which use up memory

:thumbsup:
MathsDude
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:25 AM

Assuming your assumptions about what kind of hardware is installed, the problem may very well be that your video card <b>shares</b> RAM memory; if that is the case, then you certainly need to double the amount of RAM to be able to play games (good news is that RAM is pretty cheap).
Another thing to check is to make sure you have the latest drivers for both your video and audio card installed (you can get these from the manufacturer's site---avoid MS drivers if you can). Check to be sure, also, that you have the latest DirectX installed.
Try running, if the option is available in each of the games, with all the "best performance" options on.
Cheers,
John

You should download Belarc Advisor, a small, free application that will provide information about your computer, or even better Everest which will provide even more detailed information:

Free applications pinned post
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mistaWAC

mistaWAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thanks alot for the help. I'm about to go get the computer and set it up at my house and check some of these things. I'll check back later to let you guys know whats up.

Definately coming here more often. Quick, helpful responses. Nothing like great service when ya need it. THANKS A TON!

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

Yea, make sure everything is as up to date as possible.

But I think i'm leaning a bit towards about how those specs just barley make the minimum requirements.

#6 mistaWAC

mistaWAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking too. I told him to up the memory then tell me if it works. He'll get back to me whenever he can.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users