Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zantaff

zantaff

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

I left my computer on sleep when I went out, I came back and it had shut down. When I tried turning it back on, I was greeted with the “Cannot detect any RAM installed” beep code (One long two short). 

Since the computer wouldn’t even boot, I had limited options.  

So I took everything out. I cleaned the front and back of the mobo, cleaned the RAM contacts, switched the positions (2-8GB; 2-2GB modules) and used that MemOK button. Nothing. (If you’re wondering why I have 20GB of ram, it’s because I use Autodesk applications and other similar programs.)

Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? (Short of buying all new ram.)  

I’m wondering what happened, and am thinking there may have been a power surge or something similar, but that doesn’t really explain why only the ram modules are not working. 

~Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

Try one stick in one slot and then move it to the next until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself, if you never get a post, try a different stick in each slot alone. You might just have a bad stick or two (unlikely two).

If you get a no post every time with multiple sticks in a specific slot (say slot 2 for example), that slot may be bad.

It is also possible a channel failed in which case 2 slots may not work.

Another thing you can try is to reset the cmos by removing the bios battery (with the computer unplugged from the wall) or by using the cmos clear jumper.

It is rare for a cpu to have an issue but in most modern cpu's the ram controller is a part of the cpu, meaning if you have a non working slot or multiple, it could be the board or the cpu.

Lastly, on some occasions it can be power related, it never hurts to try a different psu if you have one laying around that will work.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

I agree that you may have had a power surge and blew the ram banks.  The memory is obviously no good if you have tried them all and or it could be that the mainboard's ram banks are no good anymore.. Your best bet is to try the ram in another computer that is known good.  If the ram works in another pc .. than the mainboards ram banks are blown.  And I would suspect the power supply is on its way out too.

#4 zantaff

zantaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for all your advice. 

I tried testing the memory sticks in every possible configuration, no dice. Since I don't really have a good way to test my ram (this computer is a MacBook) that option was out as well.

So, I ran over to the electronics store and picked up 2x4GB PNY Memory.

Plugged the new sticks in and got the same results - which leads me to conclude that the whole motherboard is dead. 

Update: Did a CMOS reset. Same results. 

I finally convinced a friend to let me inside his PC, and my ram is working fine. So unless there are any other practical solutions it looks like a new mobo for me. Time to decide what to get. 

Edited by zantaff, 04 March 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Be sure to give us a chance to critique your choices.. I'll tell you right now ima intel fanboy... and I really know nothing about Mac's ... just that back in school in the 70's they had better fonts..... LOL

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

I will post my full "general" hardware diagnostic tests, some of it you will have already tried but read through it you might get some ideas:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to each other channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non-essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code, if this is a laptop it should be built in.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc Examples please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

Edited by zingo156, 05 March 2015 - 08:11 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users