Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader XI PDF Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldX

EmeraldX

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,

Any time I open a PDF made before November of last year it opens with no errors. When I go to open any PDF saved onto my computer I get an error that reads:

There was an error opening this document. This file is damaged and could not be repaired.

I can open it in my web browser, but if I have no internet connection then that can be an issue. I've looked every where for help, but i've come to bleeping computers because you guys, and gals, always know the solution to any problem.

Please help soon, i'm in desperate need.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

When you open a PDF file in a Web browser and save it to the desktop from the browser, can you open the file with Adobe Reader?

Another thing to try.

Download the Portable version of PDFXchangeviewer. Unzip the folder to the desktop. Download a PDF and save it to your desktop. Run PDF Xchange viewer in the unzipped folder. Select File > open in PDFXchange viewer and browse to the PDF file you downloaded. Does it open? Can you open the "corrupt" pdf files you could not open in Adobe using PDFXchange viewer?

#3 EmeraldX

EmeraldX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

When you open a PDF file in a Web browser and save it to the desktop from the browser, can you open the file with Adobe Reader?

Another thing to try.

Download the Portable version of PDFXchangeviewer. Unzip the folder to the desktop. Download a PDF and save it to your desktop. Run PDF Xchange viewer in the unzipped folder. Select File > open in PDFXchange viewer and browse to the PDF file you downloaded. Does it open? Can you open the "corrupt" pdf files you could not open in Adobe using PDFXchange viewer?

When I open a PDF file in a Web browser and save it to the desktop it will give me the error. I downloaded the program and when I went to open the PDF I got an error that said:

Error opening document "[document location]": Error [PDF Structure 40]: Invalid reference table (xref)

Note: the format of source is not PDF

I right click on the PDF i am trying to open and it clearly is a PDF, and even the end of the PDF is .pdf.

#4 EmeraldX

EmeraldX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

It turns out it is a Google Chrome issue. When you first click save it will only partially download the file, but when you save and overwrite the file again the whole file downloads. It's an annoying issue and i wonder when Chrome will fix this. Sorry for the waste of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users