Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comparisonn Of Counterspy And Spysweeper?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:46 AM

Has any member used either or both of these programs? I was using spysweeper and it is a resource hog and as well it had conflicts with a couple of programs on my computer and it took me quite awhile to discover this as anyone would know you have to do it by the process of elimination which took time.

i thought the culprit was likely spysweeper as problems started shortly after i bought it.
Now I am looking at Counterspy as it has very good reviews and the price is not bad. I have been using spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster, however am wanting to remove spybot search and destroy after some discussions with colleagues.

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

You can get a Free Evaluation Download of Counterspy here. Use it for 15-days to see how it performs before buying and then make your decision.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:08 PM

Thx for the reply as I was browsing in another forum and saw a discussion taking place on Counterspy and found it quite interesting as the issue of Resource useage was the topic and was of concern to the majority of the posts.

The reading that I have seen in reviews basically said quite the contrary.

I don't want another resource hog. All of this in the name of protecting programs required for work, many of them that don't require a lot of resources; however to survive in the "www." world one needs to install too many programs that take up so much resources. A frustrating fact :thumbsup:

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

Read a June '06 anti-spyware comparison on another forum this week that placed SpywareDoctor at the top of the performance heap! Spysweeper came in second and Counterspy was third. These 3 vie for positions at the top in many studies. I've tried Spywseeper before and uninstalled it because it was a resource hog. Haven't tried Counterspy, but just this week downloaded SpywareDoctor by PCTools. I'm very impressed with the easy GUI & features. It now has rootkit detection capabilities and has 11 "on-guard" scanners/monitors. The comparitive testing was on some 24 antispyware packages. SpywareDoctor detected 96% and was able to remove around 81% of the nasties on the machines. This was quite a bit better than either Spysweeper or Counterspy on detecting and particularly on removal. Adaware SE came in sixth and Spybot was way down at place 14. WinDefender was at the bottom of the list for both detection & removal. So far the SpywareDoctor uses around 48% CPU usage during an actual scan (so does Spybot) , but only while scanning the hosts file & registry. Then during the remainder of the scan Task Manager shows much lower usage.

I was running Spybot & Windows Defender until this week. I also use SpywareBlaster and Ewido & Adaware SE as weekly on-demand scanners. I have McAfee FW & Avast AV. No conflicts whatsover so far.

You might like taking a look at the new version of SpywareDoctor. Only downside I see is they have no user forum, only website FAQ & direct email contact for registered users. This is not freeware, however. Costs $29.95 for one year subscription. I believe there was a free trial period offered, but can't remember for how long.

Found the link for you: http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html

Edited by buttoni, 29 June 2006 - 03:05 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

Excellent summary of your tests, all of these spyware programs which I know I need one is always such a hassle. I hate wasting money on what is touted as a great program which spysweeper was last year and all it did was create havoc.

I will start doing a read on spy doctor and see what that comes up with. I had been reading on that program a few weeks back and didn't note the forum, however there were a couple of members that were having problems with the program and I don't remember what they were and on top of it were having a problem getting rid of the program itself.

I'll have to try and do some browsing again.

I really appreciate these discussions as there is nothing better than hands on experience as opposed to all these reviews by sites and computer magazines.

Best Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users