Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Handicapped Person is "Running out of Disk Space on DATA(D:)"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hi, all, (yes I am computer handicapped. I'm coming here to seek information),

Lately, I've had this issue with a popup appearing that looks like this:

r0tn9e.jpg

Pretty sure it's due to my ignorance. I was told to "make a backup" a while back. I think I did so, probably on this "DATA (D:)" drive, but I can't remember, and it would appear that it was a bad idea, because my computer seems to complain about it a lot.

I think these are my "specs". (Someone please tell me if these aren't my specs).

345lc08.jpg

Well... I looked up some help. This is the page I looked up: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01508532

I took a screenie, here:

16lcl5i.jpg

"Make sure you have created a set of recovery discs before using these steps. If the system stops responding, recovery discs can be used to perform a system recovery."

What does this mean...? Should I back up my files? Um... Any tips on a good way to do this? I have some flashdrives available to use for this, if that's what it's talking about. What files though? All files? Just "system" files?..... What about "registry" files? One of my family members said I should "back up" my "registry".

I appreciate any advice and wisdom I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

The link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01508532 is for Windows Vista

Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D:) (Windows Vista)

You are in the Windows 7 forum so I’m assuming you have a Windows 7 computer

--- The specs appear to me that they are for your computer as you probably got then in your System dialog box

Create a System Repair disc if you haven’t already done so

How to Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

Yes please do back up your data. Do you have an external hard drive or flash drive to back up onto?

#3 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

I have several flash drives. No external hard drives. But wait, there are different ways to back up your data, right? Should I back up the "Registry" or "System Files" on a different flash drive than my personal files, right?

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

- You should regularly backup your personal files anyway !!!

- Move as much (personal) files as possible to an external drive (e.g. Flash drive). Do that with files you never or rarely use or open (e.g. videos, documents, pictures, installation programs). It's also a good time to go through those files and see if you REALLY want/need to keep those files.

- What's the size and the amount of free space on your drives (C:, D:, ..... ) (Use Windows Explorer) ?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

In summary

You have an HP Pavilion dv7 64-bit notebook and your OS is Windows 7

You do not have an external hard drive but you do have several USB flash drives

You want to know “Should I back up the "Registry" or "System Files" on a different flash drive than my personal files”

Issue: Low Disk Space wrning: You are running out of disc space on Data D

NOTE: Correct any of the above information

OK, have you created a System Repair disc yet?

--- If not please do so

--- Also do you have a Windows 7 install disc?

--- What version of Windows 7 are you using?

As requested “What's the size and the amount of free space on your drives (C:, D:, ..... )”

Let’s tackle the data on drive D

--- Can you recognize which files you can back up, store them onto one of your USB flash drives and then delete them from drive D

--- Do you know how to do that?

Drive C will need to be addressed also because proper backups are very important

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Windows backup does not compress files and it does not support auto deletion of old backups. If the system is running fine you could delete the all the backups entirely and just run a backup again. Or you can delete the ones you don't need to free up some space. http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/11/23/managing-backup-disk-space.aspx Usually people seek out 3rd party software to address that issue. Like Acronis True Image.

Edited by technonymous, 05 March 2015 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users