Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Organization in the workplace.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Delta-V

Delta-V

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hi, so I have recently started working in IT, I work in a small office so there is very little set in stone in the way of organization.

I try and keep daily logs and notes, but often I find that my organizational systems collapse under their own weight after just a few elements of complexity are added, when things get difficult, or I take up a new project I find myself doing things like grabbing the closest notepad, or setting up a new folder with almost redundant information.

What I would very much like is a system of organization that is simple:

How do you organize, I want to be successful at this profession, and I want to track my actions a way where it is very easy for me to look back at them and not have to relearn things.

Any advise from experience is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Go electronic.  Use Microsoft One Note if you've got it.

I use text documents.  I have one called Info that contains just general stuff, My login ID (from when I started), my machine name, my test machine name, names of computers for other people in my group, the zip code for my location, things I just need for a short time.

Use folders to organize project.  I'm setting up a Test Lab, so I have a Test Lab folder.  In that folder is the Test Machine imaging instructions, test machine request form, and other documents will be added as they are created.  Once the document has been created and my group has reviewed it I store it up on the department SharePoint site using a similar folder structure.

I have a folder on the SharePoint site for Software, in the Software folder are the different applications we support, in those folders are installation instructions and knowledge base articles (which are also submitted to the company knowledge base archive).

I'm one of those IT guys who works on the beer truck theory.  If I got hit by a beer truck in the parking lot would someone be able to pick up where I left off?  Any data that others would need if you weren't around should be in a department network share.  Only personal and draft documents should be stored on your local machine.

This is just a rough suggestion, but it should be enough for you to get an idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users