Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Freeware For Non-profit Organizations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_StephMc_*

Guest_StephMc_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

I volunteer at a small non-profit preschool. They recently had a computer donated to them and the virus protaction is out of date. Does anyone know if there are any good free AV programs out there? The 3 that I have tried, AVG, AntiVir, and Avast all state that they are only for personal use on a home computer and not to be used for non-profits or educational institutions. I really would like to keep the computer protected but our funding is so tight that I was hoping to be able to do it for free. I thought about buying a product and paying for it out of my own pocket but if there is something out there that they can use legally for free it would be great. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

BitDefender 8 Free Edition is also listed for Home User but I did not see anything specifically about Non-profit Organizations. I suspect Non-profits do not apply to this group but you never know.

They have a contact us page where you can ask directly. Let us know what they say.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_StephMc_*

Guest_StephMc_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for your reply,
I actually e-mailed Grisoft and asked about their AVG. They e-mailed me back saying that I could not use it for free but could purchase their professional edition for $39.00. I then found a link at about.com that said that AVG does offer the professional to non-profits and school for free. They have a form that needs to be faxed with the request for a "discount". I would need to fax it to the Czech Republic which would probably cost me as much as purchasing a low cost AV program.
After I read your post I contacted Bit Defender and they replied that I could use it their free program at the school for 1 year. I am not sure what happens after the 1st year but I will take it for now. Thanks again for your tip. I can now surf safely at school. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

:thumbsup: to BitDefender and good luck at the school.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users