Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

implementing a file transporter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 purge11

purge11

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Hi,

Hope someone can help. Not sure if anyone here has heard of file transporters?

Below is a series of google images of file transporters

We have 2 sites and want to do away with our windows server due to support costs, the option was to have a file transporter at each site, but I am wondering whats the best way to impliment file transporter safely?  considering loss of data or security issues.

Our data usage is very light where we only use 80 gig at one site.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

If you are looking to share files between two sites, there are a couple of file sharing programs that can do this very seemlessly. Dropbox/Onedrive/Google Drive/iCloud/SugarSync. The list goes on. Each one has different costs but it basically syncs folders to individual shared machines with a cloud folder. Security is always a concern and hosting things in an offsite location does not 100% secure your data, but then neither does having it on a machine with internet connection.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

This may interest you.

http://www.filetransporter.com/how-it-works/

Being new on the scene I would suggest you research what security measures they are using to protect the file system and transfers.  User account access alone is no protection from the internet.  You might want to put in vpn client routers so you can make secure connections to them.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

I'd advise you to look into keeping the server.  I've been worked with numerous solution to replicate data between multiple sites and the all have a few things in common, they take a while to get set up correctly (if ever), the work fine for a while and then suddenly break (repeat getting set up correctly process), when they break it normally takes a while to notice that it is no longer working (days, weeks, or even months).

The cost of maintaining a server is nothing compared to losing business critical data.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

I agree with the keeping the server idea. Look into Linux. Lack of knowledge isn't an issue, almost anything you'd need to do could be looked up cause I promise someone else has done it. Linux is free. Server versions come with less packages preinstalled and the ones that are naturally are geared for servers. Oh and no GUI.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 purge11

purge11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hello all,

Thanks very much for your response and advice.  I wish to try to keep the server idea, but it seems to require more support, although I do agree NAS are notorious for breaking down.  I think we ll keep the server for archive and see how both transporters behave, if they do not work out well, then I guess its back to the server.

We also have VPN routers, but will look into more security. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users