Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows turns WIFI off but not on again

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

On my Gateway laptop that has built in WIFI and was working just fine I noticed that it can be turned on or off. with  a button on the side of the computer that has, wireless on or off. It never did turn the wireless off. So I went to the Windows mobility center and turned it off there, which it did. But now it will not turn it on again. the button is grayed out. Thank God my wired connection works just fine. But sometimes I might want to use the computer in a different room. Then it would come in handy. Any ideas? anybody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Try holding the " FN key and at the same time press the wireless key"

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

I tried that too. If only were that easy.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

When you right click the Wireless icon in the System Tray and highlight your network, does it show a Connect button?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

I was going to post this link to a topic by Kevin Childers yesterday - but I couldn't find it !  It is a reasonably comprehensive list of where the wi-fi 'switches' are on a range of computers. Have a look particularly at #6 and #10. You may well find your answer there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/174942/wireless-radio/

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

When I right-click on the wireless icon I get the following options:
TROUBLESHOOT PROBLEMS and
Open Network and sharing it shows a red X between my computer and the Internet.

Naturally I would go to TROUBLESHOOT and then I get, problem not fixed. Wireless capability turned off. Duh, I know that Windows turned it Off. But I want to know why Windows will not turn it on again.

Chris, I went to that link I slid the side switch to on and then pressed fn and F2. Does not do it either.
I just noticed one thing, when I slide the side switch from off to on a blue dot lights up by the touch pad That means that the switch is working.

Edited by Chris4835, 05 March 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

If you cannot see any wireless networks by right clicking the wireless icon in the system tray, open device manager and see if the Wireless Adapter is disabled or has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

Be sure the wired nic is disabled then enable the wifi. If that dont work then turn on the device so that the blue light is on then go into device manager and delete the wifi card entirely. Sometimes you have to blow it away to get windows to load it again properly. In device manager you can rescan for new hardware to reload it again.

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

The Device Manager says: This Device is working properly, I also installed the wireless network card in device manger and on the next reboot Windows reinstalls it again and have the same problem. I' not sure if I had the wire from the router plugged in when I installed wireless card. But Ill try that next time.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

It should not make a difference if your are hard wired to the router. Right click Computer. Select Manage. Under Services and Applications select Services. Scroll down to the WLANautoconfig service. In the upper left of the Window click Start and see if that will enable your wireless again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

That didn't help either John. The WLAN auto config service was started I'm thinking that when Windows turned the wireless off the wireless network card might have, just by coincidence. conked out.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

Look in adapter settings. Some wireless adapter cards have a radio on radio off setting. Run this utility and check enable Wireless adapter and then click the run this repair button. If that does not work run it again and select Advanced Repair.

Edit: If this does not solve try one of these USB adapters.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 March 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks JohnC for  the link to the USB adapter. I'll consider my problem solved.

I'll just get one of them.

By the way, I ran the adapter repair program and I got the same answer that I got from Windows: RTL 8187SE disconnected. Windows said: turned off. 

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

Uninstall the network card driver and install latest version of the network card driver. You can download the network card driver from website of the manufacturer of the network card or manufacturer of the computer.

Posted Image

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

Here is the Realtek 8187SE driver. It does not say if it will work for 64bit but you can give it a try. Maybe a reinstall will enable the adapter again. Can you verify the Vendor and Device ID.

Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users