Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned file finder, deleted files I need. Help restoring?!! IOBit ASC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysta

Chrysta

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

I don't know what forum to put this in, so I am posting this in two different ones. Sorry, I don't know if that is against the rules.

I have iObit's Advanced System care and it has a 'cloned file finder' and it finds and deletes them. I was under the impression that 'cloned' files were file duplicates. I don't know if that is right or not. Anyway, the thing says to be careful with it and view the files to make sure you want to delete them. I looked through some but there were thousands of files and obviously didn't want to look through every single one. Plus, I thought it was deleting duplicates and it was supposed to save one version of the file so deleting copies wouldn't be a problem cause one would still remain.

But, it deleted tons of original files! I restored the recycle bin but a good portion couldn't be restored and I had to 'skip' it and they are gone now. I used iobit's 'undelete tool' and it only restored about 100 files. Is there anything I can do to restore everything that it deleted? I can do a restore point on my computer but I don't have any restore points already made, even though it's supposed to do it automatically. I don't know if it will restore to the right time, if I am just making one now. I am so scared I lost stuff I need. I already see the weather tracker on my windows toolbar isn't working right. I have about 15 GB extra on my hard drive then I did before, that stuff is still gone!

I just installed Windows updates, I have not yet restarted the computer for those to finish, and was trying to do a couple things to clean my computer so I thought that this would clear some space.

I usually have 8-14 GB of room available on my hard drive. Isn't that plenty of room for system restore points? I am pretty sure I had it set up to make automatic points, but each time I look in there, there aren't any there. If I make a restore point now will it restore to before all the things were deleted? Will a restore even help because they are just files?

God, I am so scared. I had most of my stuff backed up. Some I didn't. Some of the stuff I didn't have backed up yet, as been restored when I restored the recycle bin, but some hasn't. I am still missing 15 or so GB!

This is so irresponsible of the iOBIT to put this program on there like it's something to help clean your system and it can do something this serious! I am so angry, and very afraid right now that I have ruined my computer and lost my stuff.

Please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hello there,

This is the reason why we don't recommend the use of iOBit products in general.

Can you try some other data restore tools, i.e. Recuva from Piriform? (it's available in the Downloads section on BC).

Alex

#3 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am very angry that iOBit can just have a program like that, that can do so much damage, under the guise of system care.

Yes, I think I will try some data recovery program.

If it had done what it was meant to, I would be ok with it. I have used a duplicate file finder on my external hard drive and it did just what it says, found the duplicates and deleted them, keeping one version of the file. But what this did.... I don't even know. I have maybe 2000 pictures in my pic folders and every single one was gone. None of them were doubles! I think the clone thing found 64,000 files or something, which I admit, seemed a little odd, but I glanced through some of it and didn't recognize the file names, figured if there are duplicates, I don't need them and it would keep one version of the file. Well, it didn't. The fundamental job it was supposed to (was under the guise of doing), it did not do!

Edited by Chrysta, 03 March 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

warning.gifiObit Software Warning!
iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:warning.gifPC Booster/Tune-Up Program Warning!
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

This should pretty much cover everything there is to say about IObit, and products like Advanced SystemCare. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do here in this situation. You have to keep in mind that once a file gets deleted, there's no guarantee that you'll ever be able to recover it. What happened to you is really unfortunate, but there won't be any kind of magical program that will retrieve all these deleted files. You can try free ones, like Recuva by Pirform, Data Recovery Wizard by EaseUS and GetDataBackNTFS, but none of them guarantee that they'll recover anything, and being "free" programs, they all have a recovery limit of a few Gb only. So you can try to use these programs, but unless the files that were deleted were "critical" to you, I guess you'll have to do without them. Once again, sorry for your loss.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am thankful that you clearly agree with me that Iobit is a fault for this! 

When I have a system care program, I trust it will CARE for my system and not delete system files needed to run the computer or files that are not duplicates. I should be able to trust in a program meant for system care, I should not have to research online what horrible consequences it may have to use a program that is there in essence to help, not harm. I have taken responsibility for clicking the delete button, when clearly, I should not have. But it is immensely irresponsible for iObit to have this in their free program, and to have the program even be capable of deleting necessary files. If I go to a doctor to help me and they make me sicker, yes, it is my fault for trusting them, but it isn't ultimately their fault!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

The difference between a doctor and a software company online is that its easy to know if a doctor really say is who he says he is. Also, I doubt that a fraudulent doctor would be able to open his own cabinet that easily. On the Internet, you can barely trust anything. While IObit is at fault here for distributing a such program, the user who uses it also have to take a part of the blame since they used it. I would say that its unconscious blame since they didn't know that this program could turn out they way it is and not a lot of people are aware of it. If you ever have any questions about a software, I would ask them on a forum like BleepingComputer to validate that program first before using it. And not by anyone, people that actually know what they are talking about.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

The reason so many of your image files got deleted is because of the way digital cameras work. The files, unless you change them, have names like DSC_1234 and in the case of my Nikon they reset back to zero at 9999. So even if they are of totally different subjects, and in totally different folders, when it saw two or more files with the name DSC_1234 it probably deleted all but the latest of them.

But the bit I really want to address is your statement that you 'usually have 8 - 14 GB spare' on your hard drive. Unless yours is a very small hard drive, Windows needs about 15% spare capacity to work properly. You might want to think about moving some, or all, of your images to an external drive to free up space.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users