Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned file finder, deleted files I need. Help restoring?!! IOBit ASC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysta

Chrysta

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

I don't know what forum to put this in right now. Sorry.

I have iObit's Advanced System care and it has a 'cloned file finder' and it finds and deletes them. I was under the impression that 'cloned' files were file duplicates. I don't know if that is right or not. Anyway, the thing says to be careful with it and view the files to make sure you want to delete them. I looked through some but there were thousands of files and obviously didn't want to look through every single one. Plus, I thought it was deleting duplicates and it was supposed to save one version of the file so deleting copies wouldn't be a problem cause one would still remain.

But, it deleted tons of original files! I restored the recycle bin but a good portion couldn't be restored and I had to 'skip' it and they are gone now. I used iobit's 'undelete tool' and it only restored about 100 files. Is there anything I can do to restore everything that it deleted? I can do a restore point on my computer but I don't have any restore points already made, even though it's supposed to do it automatically. I don't know if it will restore to the right time, if I am just making one now. I am so scared I lost stuff I need. I already see the weather tracker on my windows toolbar isn't working right. I have about 15 GB extra on my hard drive then I did before, that stuff is still gone!

I just installed Windows updates, I have not yet restarted the computer for those to finish, and was trying to do a couple things to clean my computer so I thought that this would clear some space.

I usually have 8-14 GB of room available on my hard drive. Isn't that plenty of room for system restore points? I am pretty sure I had it set up to make automatic points, but each time I look in there, there aren't any there. If I make a restore point now will it restore to before all the things were deleted? Will a restore even help because they are just files?

God, I am so scared. I had most of my stuff backed up. Some I didn't. Some of the stuff I didn't have backed up yet, as been restored when I restored the recycle bin, but some hasn't. I am still missing 15 or so GB!

This is so irresponsible of the iOBIT to put this program on there like it's something to help clean your system and it can do something this serious! I am so angry, and very afraid right now that I have ruined my computer and lost my stuff.

Please help me!

Edited by Chrysta, 03 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

You have to take responsibility for making choices.  One choice I recommend going forward is to uninstall IO System Care and every other kind of PC Care -- I have heard others had unintended consequences with such programs.  Don't uninstall until this all has been resolved as best as possible.

Going forward, you may be able to find a high-quality, fee or free, USB-stick portable version, folder/file undelete program.  There are many out there, some free, some expensive.  Decide how much you want to pay for and apply blood, tears, toil and sweat to:

TRY, I repeat, TRY to recover folders and files; no program in its right mind will guarantee to undelete each and every deleted folder and file.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 March 2015 - 03:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

I did take responsibility.

If it had done what it was meant to, I would be ok with it. I have used a duplicate file finder on my external hard drive and it did just what it says, found the duplicates and deleted them, keeping one version of the file. But what this did.... I don't even know. I have maybe 2000 pictures in my pic folders and every single one was gone. None of them were doubles! I think the clone thing found 64,000 files or something, which I admit, seemed a little odd, but I glanced through some of it and didn't recognize the file names, figured if there are duplicates, I don't need them and it would keep one version of the file. Well, it didn't. The fundamental job it was supposed to (was under the guise of doing), it did not do!

I will try some data recovery program.

You can bet I will uninstall iObit when this is done. They have definitely lost a customer!

Edited by Chrysta, 03 March 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:32 PM

You have another topic, as you've mentioned, here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568953/cloned-file-finder-deleted-files-i-need-help-restoring-iobit-asc/

I'm not going to merge them because the final merged topic will look funny due to the chronology of the times posts were entered. Due to the minimal replies in this topic. I will close this one. Please continue in the other topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users