Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Password Won't Set After Touchpad Replaced

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

Just wondering if any member would know what could cause a notebook to no longer ask for a BIOS password.

I have had a BIOS Password required by my work for 4 years and I took the notebook in to a shop for a replacement of the touchpad and ended up after bringing it back to work with my notebook no longer asking for a BIOS Password.

The office tech who is now on holidays made several attempts at replacing it and it could not be set.

The repair shop now tells me my integrated chip on the mainboard is gone and that the mainboard needs replacement which is very pricey. Seems a weird coincidence. Apart from this the notebook is working fine.

The office tech checked to see if there were any issues with my battery and there aren't.

Anyone encountered a problem like this before?

Windows xp, sp2

Edited by georgia, 28 June 2006 - 09:29 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi georgia.
If you took it in the shop with the bios password enabled (always a bad idea) and got it back disabled, they obviously did something to clear it. I would talk to the "tech" that did the touchpad replacement.

The repair shop now tells me my integrated chip on the mainboard is gone

Which "chip". The bios chip? I don't care too much for jumping to conclusions or pointing fingers but this story has got's some unexplained holes. :thumbsup:
What is the make and model of this notebook?

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

The model of the notebook is a 2410, Toshiba Satellite. Being in Canada, we don't have numbers after the 2410 like the USA models do.

The only other number that Toshiba Canada gave me was a model number that never relates to the site of 2410 satellite models as they are US numbers. The canadian model number is PS 241C - 2PW9XP.
It was the tech that told me over the phone that the integrated chip on the mainboard must have coincidentally quit just after they replaced the touch pad.

That is why I thought that I would ask what can cause a BIOS password to suddenly not be requested. This is an authorized service depot that I took it to at Toshiba's recommendation.

That is all the information that I have.
Seems strange to me. It is like the tech has a supernatural gift to diagnose it over the phone, that is why I was wondering if this is the only reason that a BIOS password can not be able to be set??

Thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 28 June 2006 - 02:07 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

It is like the tech has a supernatural gift to diagnose it over the phone

I think the "chip" being referred to is a bios password security chip which stores the password info. The tech most likely used a security access key to bypass it. From what I've been able to find, if the proccess wipes the chip out, it can't be reset. Highly unlikely it's "coincidence" since they're obviously aware and can magicly diagnose it over the phone. However, saying is one thing, proving is another.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

I ask this question as my notebook extended warranty expired the following day the touchpad was replaced. BTW, my touch pad was on backorder until the day before my warranty expired.
That is why I am wondering about this mainboard?

The company is going to cover it under warranty as we all have to use BIOS passwords on our notebooks at work and mine won't ask for one anymore.

What will really need replacing then? Is this "mainboard" that the Tech from the Depot describes the Motherboard?

The reason I want to understand this better is b/c the Tech quoted the price of what he called the mainboard and its cost off the top of his head and told me i would have to pay for it myself since the warranty was up.

However, I always take the proactive approach, and talked to the Depot manager about this "coincidence" and got absolutely nowhere and thus went to the Head Office and after 2 persistent days of phoning the Head Office; they have agreed to examine and fix whatever created this problem of not requesting a BIOS password.

I simply want to try to understand what this (New) Depot is likely going to do to fix this problem. I have been referred to another authorized service centre.

Any comments, thankyou.

I just find this all so coincidental and I don't know what would have caused this sudden issue and that it is my fault allegedly.
It started the next day after I picked up my notebook and it was out of warranty. I never used it the day I picked it up.
Thus I ask these questions.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

Most likely they will replace the motherboard (mainboard). It would be easier then a board level replacement of the security chip itself. Most service centers don't do board level repair anyway. I personaly don't think it's your fault. I would have to believe the chip was damaged while being bypassed during the touchpad replacement. It's only my humble opinion however.

Edited by HitSquad, 28 June 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

I appreciate the comments as I am not a tech and don't understand anything about how my computer was booted etc.

I told the Depot that there was a BIOS password and of course my windows log in and the Tech took my computer to the back and said he would be out in a few minutes.
I thought to take down info as he did not write out a work order.

He did come back out and I was busy doing some paperwork and forgot about the passwords and when he asked me to test out the touch pad I did and it worked fine and so he said its finished, "take it" and so then I insisted on the work order as I wanted a document to show what had been done. He reluctantly gave me one and it indicates one and half hrs work and "used" touch pad.
An authorized depot and then my BIOS doesn't ask for the pword anymore.

I have learned a big lesson from this as I have a new notebook and it again is toshiba, i will never allow myself to get distracted and take the notebook from any repair depot without booting it up myself and trying it out.
I have a 3 year warranty on this one too so I intend to watch where I take it.
I don't like these coincidences and having to nag at the toshiba HO for 2 days.

Thx for the reply. I thought they had some kind of key to get into the unit???

Regards,

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

I imagine if it is the mother board or main board as the Tech described it that I should do another incremental ghost of my system correct.

As all of my information will be gone. BTW, how do I know what motherboard the Depot is installing. I ask this b/c I noted on my work order for the touchpad that it was used and when I called 2 other warranty depots, they said that they did not install used parts.
I certainly don't want to inherit a part that is soon destined for problems while my current mother board has been fine until this touch pad replacement and then no BIOS word is requested.

Again being a non techie I ask this question and for any other feedback that maybe useful.

Thankyou.

BTW, the notebook has the best coverage, System Guard which provides for droppage, spillage etc. which as never happened. My notebook is my bread and butter and is treated like my vehicle, with great and respectful care.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:30 AM

IIRC, the chip in question is a common chip used for many other electronic tasks in other devices. There's a way of getting around it which I suppose would be great for someone who stole a notebook. But it involves opening the case and doing physical things to the chip.

It can also be bypassed by flashing the BIOS, and it can sometimes be repaired by flashing the BIOS. Of course, a BIOS flash gone bad turns a computer into a paperweight.

There's also something called KeyDisk that can be used to reset a Toshiba's password. Maybe that's what the techs used?

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

I guess what I really don't understand about all of this b/c I am not a tech, why the BIOS password was working fine before the touchpad was replaced at the Authorized Depot and after that was done the password is not asked for.And yet my notebook is working fine and the Manager of the Depot where the notebook had the touchpad replaced was not at all happy about me calling the Head Office about the coincidence of this malfunction occurring the next day when I took the computer to work and the warranty was up and then the tech who replaced the touchpad tells me over the phone that the main board now needs replacing at my own expense.

Yes it is going to be fixed at toshibas expense but I will be w/o my notebook for a day while this new depot diagnoses it and then the time to get the part in and the time to install it which is frustrating to say the least and the quick diagnosis over the phone seems uncanny.

#11 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

The toshiba Authorized Depot, recommended by the Canada H.O. phoned today re my BIOS password repair.

The shop has had the notebook since last friday and said it was ready for pick up. They said it was not the mainboard as the Original depot diagnosed and wanted to charge me a hefty chunk of cash for since the notebook was out of warranty after they replaced the touchpad.

This depot tells me it was software related and fixed it????

Anyone have any comments on this as I don't understand what this means as they don't elaborate, and I plan on picking the notebook up tomorrow and want to be able to ask fairly intelligent questions.

i would appreciate comments, thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 18 July 2006 - 06:29 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

georgia,

The only questions I can think of at this point would be. "If this was only a software issue, why did you repair it without my authorization?" "The original diagnosis was a hardware issue and now it's not?" "I was not informed and you took it upon yourself to fix an issue not previously disclosed." "Please explain why this now becomes my expense, without my authorizing that expense?" Hope those questions help you put the onus back on Toshiba, where it belongs. I would also ask for a detailed report on exactly what the software issue was, just in case it affects the operation of your laptop in the near future. That way you have recourse to bring it back for repair, for no cost, due to their negligence.

Be (Talking out of the side of their mouth) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Thx for the reply, you obviously are an experienced owner and user unlike myself. I agree, I am concerned about what has been done to my notebook. For now and in the future.

toshiba H.O. said that they would foot the bill to repair the problem and I explained to them that I was told it was the mainboard.
I did have a ghost done by our software tech as I wanted to insure that I did not make a "faux pas" which with my geek???? :thumbsup: lack of experience could be inevitable.

Now it is not a mainboard problem but a software issue??? Yikes, what a change. But I guess a second depot can have a more experienced tech and have another diagnosis???

I don't understand what software could be the issue, I have been googling and have seen some articles on breaking into BIOS passwords with software, if the first repair depot did that without askingme for my BIOS password ( which was the case) could that have created this scenario by damaging something???

I should say that I confirmed and so did my software tech that I had the latest and Only Bios for my notebook, so an outdated Bios is not the issue.

Any other comments would indeed be appreciated.

Cheers and thankyou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users