Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am ...... Fed Up With Having To Refresh

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

Where I live I use a Dial up internet connection this can be very slow, and many times I have to keep clicking on the Refresh button. To try and open a web page.

Is there some sort of setting I could use that would automatically refresh a web page if it does not load and open the first time..? , this would stop me from having to wait and watch to see if the web page is going to load,

Thanks . mypenry ( Windows XP Media Edition )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hello mypenry,
I don't know if there is an auto-refresh function in Internet Explorer; however, I use Opera web broswer, and with this, you can set it to automatically refresh the page every so often (this time is up to you). It is on the right click menu. If you want this function, since I believe IE doesn't do it; download Opera from www.opera.com . Opera is also a much safer web browser, and so far I have no regrets of using it, and I do not plan to revert back to IE again.
Just a quick question- why do you actually want to repeatedly refresh the webpage? There may be a problem with your Internet browser, or your ISP (internet service provider) as it should connect to websites automatically, without your prompting.
Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Ah, rookie147. What can happen more readily with Dial-up internet connections, especially if trying to open several pages at once or a site with lots of graphics, or a PDF download, is that the connection will 'time out' and the browser stops loading or looking for the website and displays a message similar to "the connection timed out." The ISP may also have download timing restrictions. I ran into that problem when using the university's ISP. I finally had to go into town to a computer that had a broadband connection in order to get the documents I needed. (Try downloading a 356 page PDF file on dial-up).

Another reason for the timeout screen is an overloaded server, too much internet traffic, or too many requests for a specific website. Because Dial-up has smaller bandwidth, the 'time-out' issue is more prone to happen. Hence, the need to refresh the page, or if using FireFox, clicking on 'try again.'

Read this article: http://kiva.net/index.php?option=com_conte...3&Itemid=99 for more information about why a page will stop loading.

mypenry, I'm afraid I can't help you out with the automatic refresh. I'll do some hunting on my computer and will let you know if I come up with anything. I know how frustrating that can be, especially if you have waited a long time for a site to load only to discover that it quit loading. I wouldn't object to having an automatic refresh either!

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 July 2006 - 11:37 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hitting on the refresh button while a page is loading, regardless of how slow it is loading, will only make it start loading all over again!

Edited by buddy215, 29 July 2006 - 10:05 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

I know, but there really isn't any choice if it has quit loading entirely. If it is loading but is simply slow, one simply must have patience until it finishes. I usually go off and do something else or take a nap. How sad it is to find the "connection has timed out screen" when returning, and I have to start it all over again and sometimes even reconnect to the internet! However, because of cache, what was already loaded won't take so long the next time around.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

Dialup sucks!

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

I can't agree. It provides communication and internet access for many people who otherwise would not have it. Would you really like to walk 600 miles to deliver a picture to a friend or relative? Many of us are just spoiled by broadband connection.

I understand that cable can also get extremely slow, even slower than dial-up, especially when a lot of people are watching television.

I still haven't found an auto-refresh function, but I haven't given up.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 July 2006 - 11:05 PM.

Orange Blossom

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

There are two auto-refresh aps for IE on the following download.com page.
I can't vouch for either as I don't use one.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?t...er&tag=srch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users