Here we go again!
I received ONE email about this topic and that was a message telling me someone contacted me through private message.
I know you are backlogged and that everyone who works on the forum is a volunteer, so I know it takes a while to get a response.
Since I received no further emails, I did not realize that not only was there an answer, the topic was yet again closed.
I never received a message telling me there was a response and my topic was closed and locked.
I have followed the instructions from several different sites and several discussion of the same topic in this forum. Not one has succeeded.
If I enter an incorrect url into Firefox 35, Chrome 40, or Internet Explorer (IE) 11, the response redirects to http://www.dnsrsearch.com/ and the page itself reads "Time Warner". As I now have Time Warner as a provider, I blamed it on Time Warner. Dragon just displays its own search results with a note that the entry was invalid.
I have used "add/remove" programs to seek dnsrsearch without success. There is no listing for that. I have reset all the search engines in all the browsers. I have four on my pc: Firefox, IE, Dragon, and Chrome. Only one actually had it listed in the add-ons.
My Outlook 2007 is still giving an error message about the setting for dnsrsearch.
Ccleaner does not find a problem. Malwarebytes does not find a problem. AVG antivirus does not find a problem. Panda Security did not find a problem. (The pc was rebooted into safe mode with the same non-results.)