Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore or Format WinXP Laptop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

Hi guys,
I have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook PC which is windows XP. The problem is that it won't start up, I tried normal and safe mode but it won't let me through because of the blue error screen.
I have nothing important on the laptop so I would love to restore it or format it but I have no idea how I can do that.

Side note, it has no CD drive (even though I have an external one but USB is also a preference in case). I also don't have any Windows XP disc or anything like that. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TomTerrific1947

TomTerrific1947

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Here's a posting I did on restoring an older laptop to Linux - the new Linux looks

very similar to new operating systems.

https://techhelphome.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/linux-on-an-older-laptop/

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

From a brief search there are several models of Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook PC. It seems one or more contain a sealed hdd...not upgradeable.

Suggest you give the model # and any other specs that you know.

If the computer will boot from a Flash drive then you can get a Live Linux OS installed on a flash drive to test if the computer and you are compatible.

Even if the hdd is bad it won't matter as the Live versions doesn't use the hdd.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply!

Info:
Product: LIFEBOOK P1510
Model: P1510 WB2

That's better? Thanks

#5 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Exactly like this ---) http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/60bd8e/9514/1974-1.jpg

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

I think you should try a small Linux Distro like Puppy. Below is a link to a site that you can download Puppy from and use

their software to create a bootable CD or Flash Drive.

Do you know if the hdd can be replaced if that is the problem? You can use the Puppy Linux as Live to see if the computer is

compatible. Most are. Once you have done that and it is compatible then you can also use Puppy to recover data from the hdd if

it is mountable and readable. Live simply means it doesn't install. Runs only from RAM. I think the computer has 512 MB of RAM...right?

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

You download the ISO or allow the installer to perform the download.

Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for your reply,
I'm really not sure about most of the specs because the laptop has been given to me second hand without a box or anything, plus I cannot enter windows to check for you. I'm also not sure about the hdd.

I'll follow the first two links you left and boot windows from USB, I'll let update as soon as possible.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE: I'll follow the first two links you left and boot windows from USB

You meant Puppy not Windows...right?

#9 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

I'm so sorry, this is where I got mixed up.
I have windows xp on this laptop and I wanted to restore or format it. Puppy is an operating system like windows right?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm familiar with computers and all but sometimes I really lack knowledge.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

In your first post you said you have no way to reinstall XP....no install CD. You don't know why it won't boot...could be software or hardware.

That's why I suggested giving one of the smaller Linux OSes a try at booting from either a flash drive or CD.

If it boots and recognizes your hardware then you can attempt to install on the hdd after playing around with it as Live. Using Live you

can do anything online such email, shopping, banking, watching videos or visit here. :)

Using as live nothing is written to the hdd. Once you shut down the Live Linux all data is wiped clean from the computer's memory.

In the second link I gave it gives a lot of info on Puppy.

Suggest downloading Slacko Puppy....162 MB...slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso

#11 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

Thank you for posting a reply buddy 215 :)
I will get on it :P

#12 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

Update, my pc has no boot from USB option :smash:
I'll try on CD but how do I set it up?

#13 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

I'm going to use ImgBurn :P

#14 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

sorry for the mulitposts, i have just burned the iso to a disc and theres an issue when i went to the bios screen. the ''CD-Rom'' has an exclamation mark near it. does it mean i can't use it at all?

#15 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

*************UPDATE******************

I did it! :) thanks for you buddy 215.
It works just fine! The thing I want to ask is, how do I keep it on my PC without having the need of the CD rom?

As in, keeping it running there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users