Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Windows No Disk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nachelle

nachelle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

ok so i pretty much wiped my hard drive clean and like a fool i do not have a disk to restart up the programs. i cannot get on the internet and all the icons that i have on my screen are large looks like the computer is in safe mode and it is not.... also the picture is all like dots really really bad graphics what did i do and how do i fix it? i need my computer restored back help!
nachelle14 at yahxx.cxm

Mod Edit: email address altered to foil spambots. X's instead of O's ~Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 June 2006 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

Sounds like one thing you need is you monitor driver reinstalled. Either find the disk that came with your monitor or go the manufacturer's website and get the software (obviously on a different computer). Don't know about your internet, you will probably need to reinstall the software from your Internet Provider, and you will probably need your username and password.

:thumbsup:

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

Hi nachelle.
First thing you want to do is remove your e-mail addy from your post. Bots search sites looking for e-mail addys in order to spam it and distribute viri.
To be of any help, we need to know the make and model of your computer.
You will definetley need to install the correct video drivers (not monitor drivers) in order to fix your display issue for starters. We'll go from there as soon as you post back the needed info.

#4 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

bear with me i bought it used but it is a newer used computer... it is a hp compaq windows nt with pentium 4 if that helps.. here is my saga... i bought this from a company that went under... when i hooked it up it had novell that i couldnt get by so i was told by someone to go into safe mode run regedit and do some other things and that will erase novell. well that worked but now my icon are large like it is still in safe mode and the color and graphics look like it is a computer from 1980. and i cannot get on the internet... my old computer can still get on... i installed the internet software to no avail. please help PLEASE

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:12 AM

it is a hp compaq windows nt with pentium 4 if that helps

Not really. :thumbsup:
Press and hold ctrl+alt+s. Model number will be listed.
If you get nothing, look on the lower front or tag on the back of the case.

#6 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

ok bare with me and thank you.. i am at work but i do have the sticker frm the computer maybe that will help... also i cant talk from home because i cant get the internet on that system..
d330st/p2.66/40bc/256e/4u US
and then there is hewlett-packard sn:usu3230k7w
the under that is
dg273a#aba

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

No hurry nachelle, work comes first. :thumbsup:
You're system is a D330 Slim Tower. Unfortunetly it comes with two optional graphics systems.
The drivers of course are not interchangeable. The fact you have no internet access at home further complicates things. :flowers:
Is your boss ok with letting you download a small file to your work system to take home with you?
That system also has optional drives, there is nothing "standard" about this unit.
Do you have a floppy drive\cd-rom drive or both?

#8 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

i have a floppy and acd drive for it...
not i have a old computer at home that works and gets the internet fine but i can only have on pc hooked up at a time... i dont have a disk here at work but yes i will be able to download the file at home from the other computer then rehook up the new one

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

Okay, that'll work.
Go here and download SIW. It's small enough to fit on a floppy if you like.
Take the floppy over to the HP and run the SIW.exe file. It'll give you a system report.
For now, we're mainly just interested in video and network info.
In the report, under Hardware, click "video". You will see either NVidia or Intel listed.
With the report still open, click File>Create log file. Save it and remove the floppy, you won't need it anymore as a copy will reside on your computer.
Go here, download the correct video driver (Driver-Graphics) for NT, copy it to a cd and install on the hp. Read the supplied instructions first.
When your done with that, go to device manager. If you see any conflicts (yellow or red splats), post the problem devices name\names back here. We'll work on the internet issue next. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 28 June 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#10 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

ok i can do the 1st part but how do i copy the video driver on a cd if i do not have a cd burner?... thank you again so much

#11 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

as if i didnt have enough issues... had a bad thunderstorm last night lost power for a few hours will do this tonight.. you can email me if it is easier to communicate to me.

#12 nachelle

nachelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:09 AM

i did that i have the file i just dont want to post here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users