Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Anonymization?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boadicea

boadicea

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

im currently looking for a way to anonymize ALL my computers online activies the best i can. Given the NSA's invasive models of privacy infringment. The documentary "citizen 4" really opened my eyes to the seriousness of all this.

I am aware of the "onion router" or simply just a router that i can use to filter all traffic between but i was reading conflicting ariticles that its no longer "safe" or as anonymous as we'd like but im just an average joe. I would like to take the best precautions i can.

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

TOR isn't as anonymous as people believe that it is.  Take a read/listen to Security Now! - Episode 493 - Tor: Not so Anonymous

Solutions such as TOR make you anonymous, to a point, at a cost of speed.

The sad story is that only not using the Internet will protect you from NSA level data collection.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:32 PM

What Kilroy said is right. Unfortunately, like "protection", there's no such thing as "perfect privacy". In order to remain anonymous, you have to stay off the grid by not using any technological devices there is. I suggest you to look up "IoT" on Google, which stands for Internet of Things. If you thought that using a computer and the Internet could not be private, you didn't see anything yet. The truth is that pretty much everything on the web can be found by the right people, with the righ tools and the right knowledge/skills. I don't say that it'll ever happen to you. If you abide by the law, browse the web in a legal way and use your computer for casual use, you won't ever find yourself in this situation. You can only do so much to remain as anonymous is it is, but there's no way to dissapear completely, even less when you use a world that was created by humans and not by the nature itself.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:14 AM

Data Anonymization
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

so would a paid vpn be a better approach?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

Using a VPN is one thing you can do, but not really needed unless you want to stay "anonymous". A VPN can only do so much, if the VPN provider keeps logs, then the authorities can request them at any moment with a warrant. That's why everyone wants a VPN that doesn't keep logs, but at a certain point, they all keep them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

i was interested in Private Internet Access, the problem comes when u want to discuss the idea of payment. because if the government can see you using bitcoins or even in this forum me dicussing this topic in general, being able to trace someone and tie the associated content together in context "me paying for private internet access".

its crazy that in todays world ppl are left to develop their security this way.

#8 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:22 AM

so would a paid vpn be a better approach?

Yes Paid VPN is always a better approach because free VPN is risky and even you can't get full features with free service..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users