Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with individual websites not loading in IE8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nightstalkers

Nightstalkers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been having a crazy problem that just recently started and has been stumping me for a couple of weeks now and I need some outside opinions to see if you can spot what I'm missing.

I have a Lenovo Ideacentre desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium with IE8

The problem is whenever I'm trying to access certain websites. For example Google and Yahoo are preset home tabs. Google opens just fine but Yahoo does not, I get "internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I jump over to Chrome and both pages work fine. Another site I use, I get the same error but under the more information section it tells me I'm getting a 403 forbidden error. I can access that page too from Chrome but it doesn't function properly outside of IE. So it leads me to believe it's only an IE problem.

I would have just abandoned IE all together but the problem is that I have a couple webpages that require IE plus that wouldn't actually fix the problem. I've upgraded all the way to IE10 and walked it back to IE8 with no change. I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, RougeKiller, Kaspersky TDSS, and Hitman Pro to check for viruses or malware that would affect the browser. I thought maybe it was a problem with my ISP traffic but I can tracert the pages with complete connections and I've gone through some online tutorials for refreshing and fixing errors through the command prompt but that's not working either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

IE 8...is the problem, IMO.

I run IE 8 in my XP dual-boot scenario...and for several months (almost a year) I have noticed that IE 8 is NOT SUPPORTED at various websites.  Back in the summer, some of these sites used to send out notifications onscreen telling the user that this was the case...now it seems that the approach is "You should already know this" and no notification takes place.

Using an outdated browser (IE 8) with no security updates forthcoming...when there are more current versions (sans the vulnerabilities of IE 8) is just not very good "safe surfing" modus operandi and some websites try to reinforce that by not allowing access via IE 8.

OTOH...I can access these same websites quite easily if I use my Win 7 (IE 11) or use Firefox as my browser (either Win 7 or XP).

I suggest that you not even want to use IE 8 with any version of Win 7...those more current versions of IE are more secure and more welcome at websites.

Louis

#3 Nightstalkers

Nightstalkers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

I certainly agree that IE8 is archaic at this point, but as stated above, a few websites I use require IE 8 or 9. I use a better browser for all other purposes. I did try upgrading the browser as well but still no luck. I also have many other machines set up this way and have no problem using IE8 at these sites as it is still supported by them. The problem just seems to be on this one random machine. I can go to another machine and these sites work fine in IE8.

#4 Nightstalkers

Nightstalkers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

Oddly enough I was able to find a solution. Something had caused the "Use SSL" and "Use TLS" settings in the internet options to become unchecked thus not allowing HTTPS sites to display. I appreciate the input.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

I appreciate the feedback...I would never have gone in that direction, good job :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Internet Explorer 8.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft.  Without the browser being currently supported it becomes a potential security risk.  There are those out there who could use this to access your computer.  I would suggest updating to Internet Explorer 11.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users