Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using WiFi Security camera's without accessing internet? HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djicyice

djicyice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

I recently bought 3 wireless DLink DCS-2330L Network Security Camera's, they are setup by WiFi to my router. My problem is that they use up to much data, and I don't want them accessing the internet, just need them connected to my pc to record.     

I heard about creating static ip addresses but really have no idea? Can somebody explain how I can do this? 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

They would not access the internet on their own so no worries there.  To conserve how much bandwidth of your lan they use you need to lower the frame rate [FPS] setting.  This is done in the camera's configuration utility.  If you desire to set static ips on them you have two options.  You can do ip reservations in your router so dhcp server gives them the same ip based on their mac addresses every time. Or you can assign the static ips via their configuration utility but you would want to use ips not in your routers dhcp scope.  So if your routers dhcp server is set for .100 to .254 you can use ips from .2 [assuming your router is at .1] to .99

#3 djicyice

djicyice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

They would not access the internet on their own so no worries there.  To conserve how much bandwidth of your lan they use you need to lower the frame rate [FPS] setting.  This is done in the camera's configuration utility.  If you desire to set static ips on them you have two options.  You can do ip reservations in your router so dhcp server gives them the same ip based on their mac addresses every time. Or you can assign the static ips via their configuration utility but you would want to use ips not in your routers dhcp scope.  So if your routers dhcp server is set for .100 to .254 you can use ips from .2 [assuming your router is at .1] to .99

Doesn't matter if I'm viewing them online or on my pc, they're always eating up bandwidth. I just want to completely severe it from using any bandwidth period. I don't desire a static ip address, that's just something I read. Anyways I don't quite follow what your saying about static ips.... Looking at picture I attached, can you explain what to do? or can I do something different then static ip?     

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

"they're always eating up bandwidth"

How are you determining this?  To "eat" bandwidth they have to be sending the video over the network.  They only do this when requested as in when you see them via your pc.

"I don't desire a static ip address"

OK.  You do understand that bandwidth usage has nothing to do with an ip address whether static or dynamic?  Presently the cameras are not being forwarded for remote internet access.

"Looking at picture I attached, can you explain what to do?"

Do what? You said you don't care about doing static ip on them

"or can I do something different then static ip?"

I answered that question with "To conserve how much bandwidth of your lan they use you need to lower the frame rate [FPS] setting"

In other words the better the picture you see is based on the Frames Per Second rate.  More frames = more bandwidth.  So by lowering the frame rate you can have them use less bandwidth.

Most likely you would find this under the audio and video or, most likely, under image setup

#5 djicyice

djicyice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

I determined this by my real time data traffic meter, when I'm viewing the cameras with my computer program which doesn't connect to the internet... as soon as it finds the cameras its using data, cameras don't use data unless programs on or looking on cameras url.

Yes I think I understand  that bandwidth usage has nothing to do with an ip address whether static or dynamic. I just know that as soon as I view my cameras on my pc, through the program or directly to the cameras by url.

Well i'm not lowering the fps. I just want the cameras away from using bandwidth.  

How can i do this? 

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

You bought cameras that the only way to see what they are looking at is to look on your PC. If you use the cameras AT ALL they are going to use your LAN bandwidth. So if you don't want them to use bandwidth don't turn them on. 

Altho I have a feeling you do not understand what it is that you are asking or what it is you want. So what are they doing that you don't want them to do? Is it slowing down your surfing? Do you pay for for some weird internet service that you think they are running up the cost? Because again, if they are on AND you are looking at them.....they are using LAN bandwidth, which BTW has nothing to do with your internet usage.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 02 March 2015 - 08:44 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Warrenpfjr

Warrenpfjr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

Hi There,

I am new, I know very little about networking, even less about cameras and have a similar question. I am wondering how I go about setting up a video camera in my home that I can view remotely (in another room) using wifi or bluetooth without accessing the internet. I am hoping I can use my home network. Do I need to purchase a camera with special features to do this? I tried using the Manything App with an old iPhone but that requires uploading all the video then downloading again. I live in the boonies with satellite internet that is not only slow but I have a limited amount of bandwidth so I am curious if I can avoid the internet all together. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

Simply follow the camera's manual for the network setup and then you can view via your network.  Cameras use no internet unless viewed via the internet so no worries there.

#9 Bertvanz

Bertvanz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi I am also new here. My problem is I can see my cameras on my tablet with myEye pro but I cant get to see them on my laptop! Dvr is connected to wifi router and wifi to pc. I am able to ping the DVR but that is as far as I get. Anyone got an answer for me? Thanks

Edited by Bertvanz, 05 March 2016 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users