Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Internet Browser Behavior, Seems Serious

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Corsa1r

Corsa1r

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hey everyone, first time here.  I'm having an issue with all browsers on my system (I've tried Firefox, IE,Chrome, Opera).

The specific issue I'm encountering is this: When I try to resolve a website, such as Amazon.com, it will take somewhere from 10-15 seconds to query and finally get the site to load. But once I'm there, I can zoom around and browse within that root http address at my leisure, it's speedy and takes a second or two to pull up additional pages when browsing through items on the site.  This is new behavior over the last week or so.  Additionally, if I turn off the browser and start it again, if I were to try to pull up amazon again, it would take another 10-15 seconds to even ping the page for pulling up.

I did a speedtest, I have 50 down and 9-ish up. I've used 6-7 different type of virus/malware/rootkit removal tools to find anything that could cause this.  I've flushed my DNS settings, though other computers on this network don't have the issue this one does.  They load webpages instantaneously.  Some websites take even longer to query for on this machine, depending, and if images within a site are hosted from somewhere else, they take forever to resolve on a loaded webpage as well.

Starting the computer in safe mode with networking didn't change anything, I used process explorers to search for any clues as to what could be affecting me while this happens, I've turned up nothing.  The recovery point from Feb. 25th, when a big Windows update took place, as well as an update to McAfee, is for some reason corrupted and I can't get it to rollback to that point. I tried disabling Mcafee's firewall for the browser and pulling Firefox out of the list and back in, to no avail. I've uninstalled anything resembling bloatware.  I'm feeling desperate, I'm not an expert with computers, but usually can fix issues with them.  I have alot of irreplaceable/unique types of folder structures with software and other things on here for my use, not able to be backed up as is, and I feel like all i can do is reformat.  Please help me out. Thanks.

I'd like to add that I don't have issues with other types of software that uses the internet.  For example, playing Counter-Strike yesterday, my ping was around 20, never changed.  Downloading files is fast, etc.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2015 - 01:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

You could try to see if there is a newer driver for your network adapter and install that

or You can try a usb network adapter and see if it still has the problem

or I think you can try uninstalling tcpip and reinstalling it. I don't have win7 in front of me, but it's something like control panel, network connections, properties on your network connection, then select tcpip 4 and uninstall it and install it again

There was also some command line thing for reinstalling some tcpip thing that I did on windows 8 (that may apply in your case) when someone's PC could not resolve domain names other than google.com, but, I forget what it was (and I just spent 2 minutes trying to re-find it and failed)

so, take this post for what its worth heh

Edited by bludshot, 02 March 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#3 Corsa1r

Corsa1r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, bludshot!  I tried a couple of the things you recommended, everything but the thing you weren't sure about, and I'm not sure what it is either. 

What I did end up doing was uninstalling Mcafee entirely, after uninstalling it seemed to speed things up as far as resolving domains fairly quickly.  I re-installed Mcafee and the problem is as bad as ever.  I have to assume it's almost completely related to Mcafee now, seeing how an update that froze Mcafee a week ago made me sorta suspicious since afterword everything went bananas.  I tried to use tech support, but the tech did the run-of-the-mill checks and really couldn't help me much.  I'm hoping this is a Mcafee software issue that they will fix in the coming days, I have used Mcafee for 4 years now and haven't ever had an issue with it, despite other peoples' horror stories.

#4 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Corsa1r,

perhaps you're Internet settings have been hijacked to use a proxy, usually of the 127.0.0.1 variety. It's worth checking.

in a run box type Inetcpl.cpl -- go to Connections --> LAN settings

If the Automatically detect settings is selected (normal for most people) the disregard. Here's a smiley :thumbup2:

If the proxy is checked go to advanced and clear out anything that's filled in. Close out and then go back into LAN settings to double check. If it keeps coming back. Start in safe mode w/networking and repeat. Should clear out in safe mode.

If it's really being persistent -- here is a good place to start. <link removed>

Edited by Elise, 03 March 2015 - 08:41 AM.
Removed link to website with questionable advice

#5 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Oh yes -- make sure you are not running defender or MSSE on top of mcaffe.

#6 Corsa1r

Corsa1r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hey, reast, thanks for the suggestions! Mine is set to automatic, so that shouldn't be an issue, it looks like.

I'm not running Defender or Security Essentials.  Looks like the proxy thing isn't the issue either. 

I did a full uninstall of Mcafee again and used a special tool to remove everything Mcafee-related, and my internet browsing is lightning quick now.  It's unfortunate because I have 270 days left of the subscription, so I'm hoping they could iron out a fix soon if it is, in fact, their software's fault.  So it looks like I need to wait and see or just dump Mcafee for something different, better, and preferably free.  I feel like there is alot in Mcafee's program that you just can't control or customize very well.

Edited by Corsa1r, 03 March 2015 - 02:09 AM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

Switch to a different anti virus, preferably a free one like MSE or Avast. Despite it being a paid product, the experts here would never recommend McAfee. And if you know it's the problem, get rid of it. Yes, I know you paid for it. Get rid of it anyway. It makes no sense to keep McAfee if it is the problem. 

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hello there,

If it's really being persistent -- here is a good place to start.

I do not recommend following that guide, since SpyHunter is considered a dubious AM product and not recommended here in BC.

I did a full uninstall of Mcafee again and used a special tool to remove everything Mcafee-related, and my internet browsing is lightning quick now.  It's unfortunate because I have 270 days left of the subscription, so I'm hoping they could iron out a fix soon if it is, in fact, their software's fault.  So it looks like I need to wait and see or just dump Mcafee for something different, better, and preferably free.  I feel like there is alot in Mcafee's program that you just can't control or customize very well.

If you are getting a new AV solution, remember not to miss out on AM protection as well. The two golden choices here for AM are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also AV by itself, which means you can run EAM solo or with another AV solution just fine.

Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 03 March 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#9 Corsa1r

Corsa1r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks alot, everyone.  I've used Malwarebytes and alot of it's beta tools for awhile now and absolutely love it, and I actually haven't heard of Emsisoft, but that looks like a great place to start, if it's both AM and AV in one  Thanks so much for all the help.

I'll be looking into that now and report how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users