Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to turn a MS Life cam into a spy cam?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'm having problems with my manager illegally coming into my place and am low income. 

I bought a spy cam a few years ago but there was never a new driver for Windows 7.  I can't afford to buy new spy cams everytime there is a new OS.

I have a MS Life Cam and was wondering if it can be set up to record while I'm gone?  And if so, how?  I may have a few more questions if this is possible.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Check this software out: http://www.contaware.com/content/view/44/46/

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

Thank you.

What would be the best way to watch speeded up?  If I'm out for X hours I don't want to be watching for X hours when I get back but X/2, X/4,X/8 hours.

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

Actually the software is motion detection, you can leave it running, it will be trigger when detects movement.

You can even set it up to send you e-mails when movement is detected.

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJHCgg2wWM

Edited by mauguilar, 02 March 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thank you very much. 

Actually, I only have the one computer (and no cell phone or pad) so an email isn't necessary.  I take it I can just check when I get home.

#6 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

I went to download it and not sure which I should choose. 

I don't want old or pad or other languages (I assume the default is English).  Is  01. ContaCam 4.9.9 Installer with Tutorials the one I want?

Thank you.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

I am no lawyer but I think you can and should report your landlord to your local housing authority.  Landlord rights differ from state to state but here is an excerpt of our local Landlord's right:

When Can the landlord enter the property?
The landlord may enter a rental dwelling to inspect the premises,
make repairs, supply services or exhibit the property to workers,
prospective tenants or purchasers. In such instances, the landlord
should give the tenant at least one day's notice that he or she intends
to enter, and should enter only at reasonable times. The landlord
may enter without the tenant's consent only if there is an emergency,

or if the tenant has abandoned the premises

If for example you plan on going forward with any litigation-  concerning your ' video ' You may have to post that video surveillance is being used on the premises since this is rented property - or the landlord may have a ' counter suit '

Just something to think about.  I agree you should have the right to protect yourself but you should do so under the law that governs your state.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 02 March 2015 - 10:59 PM.

#8 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

I've talked to several lawyers over the years - that's why I bought the spy cam to begin with but almost immediately they didn't have drivers for it as XP was gone.

I think it's 48 hours notice here in Seattle; unless an emergency.  He knowns most days I'm home part of the day sometimes all day and don't like anyone in my apartment without me here so schedules repairs around my schedule.

I have to report every time I notice and what I need is proof, that's why the spy cam.  I'm gone most morning for medical and the manager (not on site) knows this.  There have been some going back and forth with lawyers and civil rights (other violations - excessive noise and parking access to my parking space, etc.) over and over.  It's hard to prove anything without footage of him being in here.  And the civil rights stuff they keep changing the laws so that the landlords win (2 different lawyers (one civil rights) have told me this and was surprised when I seemed to win about grab bars but then at the last minute found out the law changed and so did the decision.  Everytime I think I have everything set to win (doctor's letters, etc.) they change the parameters.

I can't move and shouldn't have to move.  I just want to have it captured the next time he's in here messing things about - not always taking things - he sometimes moves things, like I have a table that's all plants and he came in and moved every plant under the table in its order on top of the table.

I didn't think about the fact I'd have to post that I had video in my apartment going; I know I can't have audio as that's illegal in WA state.  However, thought a few years ago someone else did similar and the landlord went to jail; however, laws keep changing.  I'll have to make an appointment with a lawyer to discuss.

Thank you.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

I thought of something else I wanted to add just in case you do end up going to litigation.  Try to point the camera at a tv and leave it on as this establishes a time and date (which proves exactly when the entry happens)  Also when you leave announce to the camera what the year date day and current time is.  This will also help establish time.  And if you can make sure it is facing a clock as this will help establish how long he was in there.. since the software only detects on motion you would want to know what time he actually left the dwelling.

Just some extra things to think about so that YOU don't become the victim.

#10 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Actually the software adds  the date and time when is recording the video.. :thumbsup2:

#11 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

I talked with Seattle Police and as long as not sound I don't have to post anything.  Only with sound in WA state do you need to let someone know that your recording if in your home (well, with sound any time you record within WA state you must let the other people involved know it).  In fact, the police encouraged me to record when I'm gone.

I'm trying to set it up for email notification per the video but google won't let me email myself.  They act like it's a security breach, so I've not been able to use the recorder yet.  Any ideas how to fix this?   I did as google suggested and it didn't work.

I've also not found where the recordings are to check them.

Thank you

Edited by Tierra93, 05 April 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#12 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

PS is there a way to make ContraCam work from standard account and not just the admin account?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users