Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to increase my C drive disk space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nav2684

nav2684

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

Hi... I have windows 7 installed in my pc with 500gb hdd. I have a little space left in my C dive. Can I take out some space from my other drive(s)? Is it possible? Please help... Thankx

Thankx

Naveen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hello, 

If you want to transfer "free space" from one HDD to another - than the answer is no. But if you have one hard disk, devided into 2 or more partitions, than you can manage them. This will become clear once you enter Disk Management. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

Make a screenshot and post it, if you are not sure about what you see there. Also, to free up some space on your drive, and improve performance as well, you can defragment your hard disk. More about this here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7

Hope this was helpful, best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Pardon...but you can easily transfer space from one partition to another...using any one of various partition managers.

In essence, you first decrease the size of the partition having the excess space...creating unallocated space...then you expand the size of the partition with the smaller space by adding the unallocated space you have created...to the smaller partition.  The actual sequence used will vary slightly by partition manager but in the end, the result will be taking space from Partition 1 and adding it to Partition 2.

Among partition managers that I have used to do this:  EaseUS Partition Manager.  Among other tools used by members to do such: 

GParted Partition Manager - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ,

MiniTool Partition Wizard - http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

In any case...please read the directions for using the partition manager...before attempting any resize of partitions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users