Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Triple Boot w Win7/Zorin/Linux Mint Mate

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

I am trying to build a triple boot machine with Win7/Zorin/Linux Mint Mate. Currently it is a dual boot with Win7 and Zorin on separate partitions. All partitions are primary and I used easy BCD to install Zorin. After installing Mint on a third partition,I booted back into Win7 and listed it on the BCD bootloader. When I reboot the machine, Mint shows up in the bootloader(it says Windows Bootload manager)at the top of the screen but when I click on Mint, it boots into Zorin. Win7 and Zorin are working fine,but Mint will not boot. I have checked my install procedures several times.Journaling file system4 and loading the boot file on the same partition.I am tempted to install Mint alongside of Zorin,but I am unsure if that will work. Suggestions? Am I missing something??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

Paul, is this on the "Pavlova" (the HP Pavilion)?

I will leave the Win 7 side of things to someone else, but you definitely can install Mint alongside Zorin - I installed Mint after Zorin on my current setup. Mint likes to take the lead in the bootup sequence (which can be changed), just as Windows used to like doing, possibly still does.

BTW - you need to replace "plenty" in your Profile with actual amount, I have forgotten it again.

IMO better is to install extra Distros via the Logical approach, otherwise you will soon fall foul of the "limit of four" for Primary Partitions - unless you are using gpt in your Partitioning Table.

I'll back off whilst others comment, and pop in where qualified.

Good luck

:wizardball: Wiz

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

Wiz - you make me laugh- yes, it is the Pavlova machine,and my "plenty " profile has been updated! I tried installing Mint on a logical drive . I thought at first that might be the problem,which is why i switched to a primary partition. I was under the impression that you can not boot an OS from a logical drive,but I guess that is not true with linux distros.I am using the Easy BCD bootloader and have all three OS listed using grub2.Like I stated earlier,the bootloader will boot into Zorin,and it boots into Zorin even when I select Mint in the bootloader. I am suspicious of one thing.At the top of the boot screen, it reads "Windows Boot Manager".Shouldn't it be EasyBCD? I was reading last night that the windows bootloader will not recognize more than 2 OS's. And BTW-I am trying to install Mint17.1 "Rebecca"? if that helps any--

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

Paul, is this on the "Pavlova" (the HP Pavilion)?

I will leave the Win 7 side of things to someone else, but you definitely can install Mint alongside Zorin - I installed Mint after Zorin on my current setup. Mint likes to take the lead in the bootup sequence (which can be changed), just as Windows used to like doing, possibly still does.

BTW - you need to replace "plenty" in your Profile with actual amount, I have forgotten it again.

IMO better is to install extra Distros via the Logical approach, otherwise you will soon fall foul of the "limit of four" for Primary Partitions - unless you are using gpt in your Partitioning Table.

I'll back off whilst others comment, and pop in where qualified.

Good luck

Also- are you using Easy BCD/ or the windows boot loader?

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:38 AM

Also- are you using Easy BCD/ or the windows boot loader?

Neither. EasyBCD is a software utility for Windows Vista, 7 and 8 only, as I understand it. Cat knows more. I have not used it.

I have been working from a totally Linux environment since September last year on my puter, and with Elaine's old Compaq Presario C300 (512 MB RAM), I blew away XP a couple of weeks ago in favour of Peach OSI BB (Bare Bones), so we are a totally Linux household.

Did we work out with you how to post screenshots? It would be ever so helpful.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hmm- well I guess there has been some misunderstanding here- there are options on BCD to list a Linux install-which is what I did with Zorin,However,when I did the same with Mint it will not  boot into mint. Even when I select Mint from the bootloader- it loads Zorin- it must be confused . I do know how to do a screen shot,but not sure how to post it in BC. Contl+V is what I use in Windows--

Edited by paul88ks, 02 March 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Paul, I've got 5 on my old xp machine, and 4 + windows on a newer windows 8.1 uefi machine.  I just have to go to the bios when I change from windows to linux.  If you're on zorin or mint, I (so you should too) have the option on the boot menu to go to the set up, then I put windows over linux.  If I want to switch from windows to linux, I have to start and immediately go to bios, and put your linux over windows.  Then you'll go to your linux boot menu.  Hope I didn't confuse you.  I've decided with 4 or 5 distros I spend too much time updating tho.   

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

@paul88ks

I do know how to do a screen shot,but not sure how to post it in BC. Contl+V is what I use in Windows--

To learn about posting screenshots in BC you can either reference Moderator Stolen's excellent Post here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Bimgur+%2Btinypic+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

or Nick's Pinned Post on the front page of Linux & Unix "...Linux-style"

Nick uses Tinypic (which I have not tried yet), Cat uses Photobucket (which I tried and ditched) and I (in favour of) Imgur.

You can take a shot with as little as hitting PrtScrn up with Functions or elsewhere depending on say a laptop. Under Linux it will default to taking a .png pic but include the whole desktop or visible screen.

Under Mint, you can take a shot with inbuilt Screenshot, found under Menu-Accessories. Zorin, the same.

Given you are multibooting - you might choose the same sort of path as I. I have a Folder "PicsX-OS" meaning Pics Across OSes, which I use on my external HDD but you might use on as small as a dedicated USB stick, and I save all screenshots from whatever OS I am in, to it. I can access them from anywhere for Posting.

I find Imgur good - I can screenshot, upload, and direct copy into my Thread in 45 seconds.

Use what works for you.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

Nick uses Tinypic

grumpy-cat-no-2.jpg

I use staff file hosting now, except in General Topics

Edited by NickAu, 03 March 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Is that feline any relation to Animal's?

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

I was under the impression that you can not boot an OS from a logical drive,but I guess that is not true with linux distros

Most Linux OS's can be installed & ran from logical partitions & I've ran them this way myself to keep from hitting the 4 Primary limit. The last one was an HP which had three primaries from the go with Windows 7, the 100MiB System partition & Recovery. Plus I had my Data partition, which was Logical. The only way possible to install Linux Mint was on Logical Partitions, if I tried to create a Primary, would be blocked with the Data partition already there. 

In fact, you can have an entire drive of Linux OS's installed to Logical partitions & it would be OK. 

As I've stated, you need to consider adding a 2nd HDD, or using a portion of it for your Linux Mint install, keeping in mind to use the same rule, making the root partition where the bootloader is placed. Or you can choose the device itself (the 2nd drive), this forces the reboot back to Windows 7 & then you can add Linux MInt in the same manner as you did Zorin. 

I've had two versions of Linux (Ubuntu & Linux Mint) on a single HDD in the past, but not one with Windows installed. 

Have also researched the deal, but cannot find an answer as to why you cannot have Windows 7 & two Linux versions of the same drive. To be honest, would like to know this myself. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:26 AM

Have also researched the deal, but cannot find an answer as to why you cannot have Windows 7 & two Linux versions of the same drive.

I currently have Kubuntu, Debian and XP installed to the same drive. I see no reason why one couldn't have several Linux distros and Windows installed to the same drive.

I used to use Grub4Dos bootloader and now use Grub2, but I've never used BCD which is what the issue here seems to be with.

Edited by Al1000, 04 March 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Have also researched the deal, but cannot find an answer as to why you cannot have Windows 7 & two Linux versions of the same drive.

I currently have Kubuntu, Debian and XP installed to the same drive. I see no reason why one couldn't have several Linux distros and Windows installed to the same drive.

I used to use Grub4Dos bootloader and now use Grub2, but I've never used BCD which is what the issue here seems to be with.

AI1000- do you have all 3 OS's on the same partition? I have been researching this and have read that Windows7 will only boot 2 OS. I have even tried installing Mint on a different drive,to no avail. Maybe if I try installing Mint alongside Zorin it would work? Also -I found an article at TweakHomePC that shows how to make a 4th Primary partition,which I also tried ,but the bootloader would not boot into Mint. So - I am still not sure if it is possible to make a triple boot with Windows-Zorin/Mint-- Where can I get the Grub2 Bootloader without BCD- maybe that would work?

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

As far as I know it's not possible to have more than one operating system installed on any one partition (unless it's a frugal installation which is irrelevant here)

Here's a screenshot of my hard drive partitions in GParted. Windows is on sda1; Debian and Kubuntu are on sda5 and sda7 respectively, as per how I labelled the partitions.

gpartedpic_zps52xwt0pd.jpg

An easy way to determine what partitions you have is to open a terminal, and run the command

sudo blkid

blkidpic_zpsp2yfgukt.jpeg

Primary partitions are numbered 1 - 4; logical partition numbering begins with 5.

/dev/sda is the hard drive the operating system is installed on, and if I plugged in a usb flash drive for example, it would be /dev/sdb. Your hard drive should be /dev/sda but I would check to make sure before installing grub.

So - I am still not sure if it is possible to make a triple boot with Windows-Zorin/Mint--

It is certainly possible using grub, but I don't know anything about BCD.

Where can I get the Grub2 Bootloader without BCD

Assuming your hard drive is /dev/sda, you can install grub by opening a terminal and running the command:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Then run:

sudo update-grub

...and assuming you would install grub from Zorin as that's the Linux operating system you can boot into now, you should see Windows and Mint listed in the terminal as grub detects them and adds them to the new grub configuration file.

This would overwrite the normal Windows bootloader and you would be presented with a Grub2 boot menu when you reboot, but having never used BCD I can't say if it would overwrite that or not, although I don't see any reason why it wouldn't - perhaps Cat would know.

Edited by Al1000, 04 March 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

It is certainly possible using grub,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users