Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TR/Trash.gen blocked by Avira. Am I still infected?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rockyplanet

rockyplanet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

On Friday night (2/27/15), my Avira antivirus software detected TR/Trash.gen. It kept producing virus exe files throughout the next day and it appeared to be originating in a system restore point. The infected files are in quarentine and I haven't seen new warnings. I was not given an option to delete the virus, only quarentine.

Other unusual symptoms:

I don't know if this is related to the infection, but I think around Thursday night my computer was stuck in the screen saver when I had Firefox opened. Each time I moved my mouse to get out of the screen saver, it immediately went back to the screen saver. I managed to solve the problem by closing Firefox (by a quick right click on the lower task bar and choosing close), but I don't know if that problem was related to an infection. It hasn't happened again since then.

System and protection software:

Windows XP Pro v2002 SP3

Avira - free version

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - paid version

Spybot - Search & Destroy - free version

Full custom Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. No infections detected. This scan included a rootkit scan.

Full Avira antivirus system scan after files were placed into quarentine. No infections detected. rootkit scan was switched off.

During my Avira full system scan, I received a notice saying that my virtual memory is low. I have 251 GB of unused space on my C drive.

Spybot - Search & Destroy rootkit scan. No infections detected

Full Spybot - Search & Destroy system scan. No major threats detected

I have not restarted my computer.

Can you help me determine if I still need to eradicate the TR/Trash.gen trojan threat?

Edited by rockyplanet, 01 March 2015 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TeamNails

TeamNails

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

I'd recommend to use Kaspersky Rescue Disk  (http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk).

TR/Trash.gen can load another trash soft. Check your firefox plugins. I think you have some bad plugin installed.

#3 rockyplanet

rockyplanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

I inspected my plugins and found some old ones. I disabled those. I ran the Kapersky recovery disk and it found no infections. Well, it's the first time that the Avira app successfully disabled a trojan on my computer.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

I guess that this means that this issue can now be closed.

Edited by rockyplanet, 03 March 2015 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users