Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stryder420

stryder420

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:11 AM

Ok. I'm New here so bear with me.

I've attempted to do a fresh install of windows XP Home three times and am having the same problem all three times.

The install goes ok and everything runs fine. However, My Hard drive, (which is a 200gb hard drive), is only showing 126gb of free space.

And yes, before anyone says anything, I deleted the partition and formated. But still the same thing.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get back the 63gb of free space? The drive should show 189gb of free space.

And just so everyone knows, the disc I'm using to reinstall Windows XP is the disc that came with the PC when I bought it.

Thanks in advance

stryder420

PS: Seem to be having more trouble now as well. I cannot access my External Hard Drive either. It does not even show up in My Computer. Was going to install mIRC to chat online, but that program is on mu External Drive......LOL

PSS: I keep finding more problems instead of soulutions. Now I can't even get any updates from windows. Darn thing won't validate. Starting to think there might be something seriously wrong here. :thumbsup: Could really use some help.

Edited by stryder420, 28 June 2006 - 05:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Please give the make and model of your computer. Also which version of WinXP Home -- original, Service Pack 1 or 2? Is this the original hard drive or a replacement? What kind of external drive is it -- hard drive or optical, and what interface? And finally, it might help to know why you reinstalled Windows.

#3 stryder420

stryder420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Make and Model of Pc is Dell Demension - Desktop - 2300

The OS is the Reinstallation CD that came with the PC - XP Home Edition - No Serverice Packs.

The Hard Drive is a replacement Hard Drive.

The External Drive is a Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage Drive - USB - Hard Drive

A friend of mine talked me into using a copy of XP PRO. But I now don't want a pirated copy of XP, so I want to go back to the XP Home that is Legit.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

The original version of the XP installation (pre XP1) does not show partitions larger than 132MB. Once you get it installed and updated to SP2 you will be able to see the full disk space.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

Re: external hard drive. Have you installed the USB drivers for your motherboard? Do other USB devices show up when you plug them in?

Re: validation. As far as I know, your only recourse is to phone Microsoft and explain the situation. From what I've heard they are actually pretty reasonable.

Edited by DaveM59, 28 June 2006 - 06:39 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

Use the phone number to call Microsoft that appears in the authentication failure screen and as long as this is the same computer with the same motherboard and video card you validated before you will not have a problem.

You must do this within 30 days or XP will shut down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users